julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, February 29, 2008

Tango Snacks

It's that time of year again.

Damn Girl Scouts.

Just like the tulips that emerge from the frozen soil, just like the bears that awaken from their long winter's naps, just like the spring robins that start to build their nests, it is that time of year.

Girl Scout Cookie Time.

No, I like the Girl Scouts. The two little ones that were freezing their tiny bottoms off in the cold outside of the train station were very sweet and very organized. I know they will be very successful pillars of their communities someday.

(I was never a Girl Scout. I was an Indian Princess, which was a short-lived, not very PC-sounding group that a bunch of wives invented to get their husbands and daughters out of the house from time to time so that they could have some private moments for themselves, or to play mah-jong. Hey, it was the Seventies. I don't make this stuff up. The only thing I remember about the Indian Princesses was learning to rub a paper grocery bag against itself long enough so that it felt like suede--don't ask me what we did with the suede/paper afterwards because I don't remember--and when my dad flew my kite into a tree at an Indian Princess picnic. Unlike the Girl Scouts, I don't recall doing anything that would earn me a badge or help me become a better person, unless wearing a paper headband with a feather stuck in it counts as something.)

Anyway, the reason that I say Damn is only because now I have to buy Thin Mints cookies again. (Don't even tell me that Caramel Delights are better than Thin Mints.) They should name them Crack Thins and be more honest about what one of the main ingredients might be.

I have always felt somewhat guilty about my cookie intake at this time of year because Thin Mints are to be treasured (even if you freeze them, they can't last forever) as a seasonal delight, like chanterelles or truffles.

I am (finally!) going to a milonga tonight so I have decided to make Thin Mints my Official Tango Snack. Normally my tango shoe tote bag (yes, I have a tote bag of shoes because I can't just pick one pair) has several types of chocolate bars, in addition to a shoe brush, bandaids, mints, and gum.

So, if you see me tonight and you know the secret of the tote bag (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), I may very well give you a Thin Mint and share in the bounty of the season.

Or maybe not. It depends.

***

I should add that Thin Mints do have some medicinal value and can help reduce vomiting, because I used them in such a capacity during an unfortunate incident that involved discovering a boiled slug in an artichoke. Never mind.

14 comments:

Unknown February 29, 2008 at 8:06 PM  

it's funny how we have the same tastes in food as well. my husband has hidden the case of girl scout cookies that i bought because i ate a box of those peanut butter ones in an evening.

AlexTangoFuego March 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM  

Thin mints are my favorite...Try them with Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream...

Elizabeth Brinton March 1, 2008 at 4:29 PM  

Yes they got me too! I managed to sneak past them on the way into the market, but then some really cute ones came to the door and now I have two boxes of cookies!

Indian Princesses??? That's just messed up. I am going to have to have a good conversation about your childhood with you one of these days.

You know those mint (Crack Thins) cookies, there is just nothing else quite like them.

studio wellspring March 2, 2008 at 2:21 PM  

tb, YOU are my tango treat.
but thanks for sharing the thin mints ~ they were the perfect pick-me-up. i think we should follow octavine's lead an buy a case so we can have them on hand thru-ou the year. ;o)

Red Shoes March 3, 2008 at 9:39 AM  

Mr. Red Shoes turned up with a box of Tagalongs, which I find vile, and we had a spirited debate over whose Girl Scout cookies are better. Thin Mints forever!

Mark Andersen March 3, 2008 at 2:34 PM  

And here I thought I was the only person who couldn't say no to Girl Scouts! I need to rent storage space every year just to store all the boxes I buy. I'll look for your Thin Mints at the next milonga.
Best,
Mark
www.ConfessionsOfATangoDancer.com

Holly March 4, 2008 at 7:01 AM  

Sometimes, if I hid a box deep inside the freezer behind something, I actually would forget about them, but once I remembered they would be gone in a matter of 5 minutes.

tangobaby March 4, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

Dear ones,

It's nice to know that The Cult of the Girl Scout Cookie is NOT an exclusive club. Look how many of you are as crazy as I am! I don't even know where to start...

I did have a few comments for you though:

Ms. Octavine. Wow. An ENTIRE box of peanut butter ones in a sitting! That is impressive. Had you been a Thin Mints/Crack Mints afficionado, I think you might have eaten two boxes because they are thinner. The peanut butter ones are good, I'll give you that.

Alex, I just had an idea: Make your own ice cream sandwiches with Thin Mints and Bryer's Mint Chip in between!

Elizabeth, you got lucky with only two boxes. Some people get a case. :-0 I don't remember much of my childhood but you're welcome to help me laugh at what pieces I can recall. Life in the 'burbs...there's nothing else like it.

Dear Ms. Wellspring, It was fun feeding you the cookies. I kept waiting for you to say something boring, like "oh, I can't. Oh, I've had enough" and you never did! Hooray!

Ms. Red Shoes, I don't even know what a Tagalong IS but I agree with you that they are vile. If they are out of Thin Mints, then I guess it is okay to get a substitute, but not as a FIRST CHOICE.

Mark, I may not have any cookies left by the time you see me, but you're welcome to ask.

Miss Tango, There is nothing better than a frozen Thin Mint, or an entire roll of them. When Isa has teeth, we must send her some so she learns to appreciate them at a young age.

Anonymous March 4, 2008 at 9:42 AM  

Four posts on Friday and none for the next three days? I have to assume you slipped into a diabetic coma induced by thin mints. Should I call 911?

tangobaby March 4, 2008 at 10:01 AM  

Dear dutchbaby,

You know...this work stuff is really interfering with my blogging! Sheesh.

Not to worry, I've always got lots of ideas in the hopper.

It would take an astounding number of Thin Mints to push me into a health crisis, just so you know.

xo

Anonymous March 6, 2008 at 5:02 AM  

I can never decide between Thin Mints and Samoas. Oh I love Samoas. Oh. Yes.

Man, what am I going to do here in Buenos Aires?! Well, I can just go down the street and get a chocolate-covered churro, but it's not the same.

tangobaby March 6, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

Tina,

Thin Mints are always better because they are covered in chocolate and are a very versatile food.

I guess you could go down to San Telmo and get those hot sugary nuts they make on the street and I won't feel too sorry for you! (What are those called again?)

Go out and get some dulce de leche ice cream and you'll feel better.

xo

paris parfait March 6, 2008 at 2:03 PM  

Oh, thin mints! I was a Girl Scout and now that you've told me 'tis the season, I will beg some So Cal children I know to send some to Paris (as though I need any cookies. Sigh).

Indian Princesses? Sounds like you had quite the exotic childhood.

tangobaby March 6, 2008 at 10:37 PM  

Dear Paris Parfait,

But you can go to Laduree or Hediard or Dallayou whenever you want! *stamping feet*

Why do you need Thin Mints when you can eat macarrons in the Luxembourg Gardens?

Better yet, let ME bring them to you. There, that's a much better idea!

***

Indian Princesses was a very silly thing. I don't know who invented this group but I have yet to meet another former princess.