julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, October 1, 2007

The Comfort of Like Minds

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one. -- C.S. Lewis

I read this post, Hotness as Opposed to Heat, by Red Shoes today. I read it about three times in a row.

It felt like she had taken the thoughts in my head, sorted them all out, and wrote them so beautifully and with such clarity.

I'm not trying to steal her thunder, by any means. I guess I'm trying to say that it's so comforting when you find someone who can express what you mean, but a thousand times better than you could yourself.

Thank you, Red Shoes.

3 comments:

Anonymous October 2, 2007 at 5:06 AM  

:) Hi there. I've never commented before but have been reading for a little time now. Thanks for sharing!

This particular subject is very interesting, I think. Challenging - to me anyway. I almost feel as though I must remain single in order to enjoy Tango. Because, of course dating another dancer can ruin the experience if it goes sour. Dating a non-dancer can be extremely challenging so! here I am, a young single woman who can't find another solution but the remain single which is not ideal either.

I guess there's a balance I haven't quite figured out yet. I don't know how you do it! When I have a good dance, it's so overwhelming. I dance with my heart and find that I must open it and almost be vunerable, award complete trust my leader (if he's a good one ladies) in order to dance well. That action, in itself, is an emotional one for me. I don't know my leader well and yet! the connection is powerful enough to keep me dreaming about him the following night. Thank God I have a good enough head on my shoulders to discipline myself! Many leaders certainly don't. But, yes, these are my private, intimate thoughts and what I struggle with. How the heck to find a balance or should I say seperation between dancing and emotional attachment.

Red Shoes October 2, 2007 at 11:15 AM  

Thunder, heavens, girl, no. It's a treat that you enjoyed my musings so thoroughly. Fortunate me, to have you in my world!

tangobaby October 3, 2007 at 10:06 AM  

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for reading, and thank you for your reply. I know your feelings echo those of many other people.

I've been trying to think of something to tell you, some advice to make a difference and help you. I think if you go to the comments posted on Red Shoes' original post, you'll find more wisdom there.

If nothing else, as you work your own way through this issue, just know that other people out there feel as you do, understand you, and are there to listen to you, too. I think the benefit of these blogs help us feel more connected and not so alone, and that in itself is a big help.

Keep dancing and keep in touch with us. Your ideas and thoughts are important for all of us.

;-)