julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Back in the Saddle Again!

I went dancing again last Thursday night after two weeks of feeling like crap. And then today I went to the last afternoon outdoor milonga for the season at Union Square.

It is such a nice feeling to be dressed up, feeling the energy flow through me again and the anticipation of getting onto the floor, and moving to the music with my eyes closed. The only good thing about being sick is that first real day when you realize, Wow, I feel really good right now.

I had a sweet connection with someone at La Pista, and I look forward to dancing with him again. His musicality was wonderful and I think we were both pleasantly surprised with each other within a few seconds of starting our first dance. In between songs, he told me I danced like a Porteña. Which to me was a great compliment.

He asked if I had ever been to Buenos Aires, and I answered, Yes, last year, and he said, Oh, that explains it. And then gave me one of those nice little squeezes that says, Yes, I'll keep you.

We danced two tandas together and then I danced once more tanda with him before I went home. During the breaks between songs, we shared our experiences at Los Dinzel, the tango school/studio in Buenos Aires where we both were fortunate enough to practice and dance with the amazing teachers there.

The Dinzels are revered teachers who have taught many other wonderful dance teachers, one of whom is my lovely teacher Roberto Riobo. When I met the Dinzels, I could immediately see their influence on him and where he developed his style of teaching and expression and feeling. The other teachers there were so open, kind, and enthusiastic about our dancing, no matter what level we were at. And my favorite, darling young Gabriel, who spoke no English and had me put an "X" on a tiny map to show him where San Francisco was, I shall never forget. I cannot listen to Caceres' "Tango Negro" without thinking of him and the most perfect milonga I have ever danced in my life.

Please, please go to the Dinzel studio someday if you treasure your tango. Walking down the narrow sidewalk, flanked by rough stucco walls, entering the courtyard with dancers from all over the world resting wherever they can find a seat and having a sip of water in between lessons, the tiny rooms covered with old posters, newspaper clippings and fading photographs, and the worn and warped floors (still amazingly perfect for any tango shoe), will make you feel that you have entered a sanctuary made just for you.

5 comments:

studio wellspring October 8, 2007 at 8:41 AM  

so lucky, so charmed.

tangobaby October 8, 2007 at 12:25 PM  

That will be you someday in the not-to-distant future.

;-)

Anonymous October 8, 2007 at 4:28 PM  

So, dear friend, a little butter-flutters after just two weeks out of the game? Yeah, I can relate. You know I can.

La Nuit Blanche October 11, 2007 at 2:43 PM  

"In between songs, he told me I danced like a Porteña. Which to me was a great compliment.

He asked if I had ever been to Buenos Aires, and I answered, Yes, last year, and he said, Oh, that explains it. And then gave me one of those nice little squeezes that says, Yes, I'll keep you."

i love love love this. what a beautiful compliment. that is definitely a glorious tango moment...

your description of the dinzel studio has me longing for BsAs. i am watching "assassination tango" for the first time, and all i can do is drool over the beautiful little streets and strange, lovely dance studios....

tangobaby October 11, 2007 at 5:14 PM  

Darling Nuit,

BA will be like graduate school for your tango. It was for me...I learned/absorbed/observed things there, mostly from just dancing in milongas, that I would have never gotten on my own here.

When you go, you will be immersed in tango morning, noon, and night, whether you are dancing or not. And it will change your life as a dancer forever.

I will always look back on that time with nothing but happiness and appreciation, even if I do not go back for a very long time. I can't wait for you to go someday and experience that tango life yourself.