julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Magic Man Is Back

For those of you who haven't been properly introduced, the man in the photo is Christian Cagigal, and he's a friend of mine.

I wrote about Christian a while back, because my photo session with him was what made me get so crazy inspired and excited about doing portraiture.

Last Friday was the opening night of the run of Christian's show, The Pandora Experiment. This time, I brought some buddies: the world-traveling Ms. Paris Parfait and her talented, gorgeous daughter Jordanna, my sweetie Ms. Wellspring and my other sweetie, The Boy (last but not least).

It's a bit of a challenge to write these posts about Christian and his show. I really don't want to give anything away because I want to preserve the mystery and awesomeness of what he does. Suffice to say, there's no sawing women in half, pulling rabbits out of hats or disappearing doves. No cheesy magic here.

What he does do is make you think he's reading your mind (and everyone else's in the crowd), in a creepy-cool yet innocently nostalgic setting, weaving childhood dreams and wishes with family history and seamless effects.

What Christian did not know until after the show was who my friends were in the audience. So to my complete and utter delight when he picked Ms. Wellspring to basically be the star of the end of the show, I could not help but grin even more. There are a few little extra surprises to that tale, but she tells it much better than I do, so read her post.

***

What I would love is for all of you local yokels to make it out to The Pandora Experiment before it retires for the indefinite future. This show has been very popular and this is the third incarnation of it because it's been so well-received.

But after this run, it's not going to be performed anymore, and I'd hate for you to miss out. So here are the deets. The show runs through August 16.

Please go and be sure to tell Christian that tangobaby sent you! OH, and before I forget, I'd love to help Christian get some reviewers out to see the show. For those of you who have contacts at blogs, newspapers, etc. that can help promote this show, will you do that for me? I'd thank you and I know Christian would love it!

***

And just because I really like this, here's the little trailer I made for Christian's show a while back:

12 comments:

Christian Cagigal July 30, 2008 at 11:26 AM  

Thanks Julie!
You, Ms.P, Well Sp. and Boy-dude were wonderful!

I can't say that I won't do Pandora ever again...I keep learning so much from it each time I do it. But, it's going to be quite a while before we do it again.

I have many more strange, wonderful and magical toys to share with everybody in my future shows.

More details about the New York show later... ;)

christina July 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM  

Oh, how I wish I could see the show... for now I will just make sure I let my readers know that they should be there for me : )

PS: Uhem.. can I borrow the trailer??

tangobaby July 30, 2008 at 4:02 PM  

Hi Christian,

Of course! It was a treat for us, to be sure. I hope you bring Pandora back again, although I am looking forward to the next show (you can practice it with me, if you want a test audience).

I'll bet you have all sorts of surprises for us. I'll keep telling everyone about you until you are as famous as David Blaine (but not as strange).

Hi Christina,

Please, do borrow anything and everything, including the trailer, photos, links....we want to get Christian as much blog/air time as possible!

thanks in advance and I know he would appreciate it.

Anonymous July 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM  

I love that mind control magic. There's a British guy who does it called Darren something. Oh how I wish I could see this... he's very dashing too ;)

tangobaby July 31, 2008 at 9:57 AM  

Hi Christie,

I think you mean Darren Brown. I've heard of him, but have not seen his act (although I bet we could find him on youtube).

Mentalism is a fascinating entertainment, too. That, and close up magic, are two things I enjoy seeing a lot.

Anonymous July 31, 2008 at 10:03 PM  

so this was your outing with tara..oh how i wish i had been there too! the group of photos i saw and said i loved were on your flckr and were from that first portrait photo shoot. they are completely mesmerizing to me. i love the ones you took of him on the stone bench and walking with his magic suitcases. those are my personal favorites :) i went back to your post about that first shoot and your excitement is palpable.... and infectious!
xoxox

Anonymous August 1, 2008 at 6:46 AM  

wow, i love the trailer, i'd go just for the mystery of it, fascinating. i did love your photo session with Christian so its nice to meet the man behind the photo type thing.

tangobaby August 1, 2008 at 10:36 AM  

Hi robin-bird,

Yes, he's very photogenic, isn't he? And we got so many different and great photos. Having a variety of locations and props made it even that more interesting and fun. I learned a lot and of course was so happy that these photos were good enough to use for his PR.

Hi sarah,

It's amazing what you can relay with a few photos and some really great music. That little trailer does give a good indication of what the show "feels" like, even if you don't get to see it.

;-)

paris parfait August 1, 2008 at 11:38 AM  

What a wonderful post about a truly fantastic show! It was a magical evening, in every sense. Thank you for including Jordana and me! I will be writing about it all after I get some sleep. Miss you already! xoxox

paris parfait August 1, 2008 at 11:38 AM  

What a wonderful post about a truly fantastic show! It was a magical evening, in every sense. Thank you for including Jordana and me! I will be writing about it all after I get some sleep. Miss you already! xoxox

tangobaby August 1, 2008 at 4:37 PM  

Hi Tara!

I miss you, too! I'm so glad you liked the show and can't wait to see what you will write about it, because I know it will be wonderful reliving it through your words and memories!

Come back soon. SF is not the same without you.

xoxo

Relyn Lawson August 4, 2008 at 9:48 AM  

Oh. I want to go. It sounds so wonderful. I doubt he wants to do a tour of Branson, though. Ha. I love that Christian is using your portrait for his log in photo.