julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Honorable Mention

Well, my lunchtime walks in Chinatown have paid off.

I just have to tell you this little story because I thought it was pretty darn cool...

My sweet friend Gypsy Girl (you remember her) sent me a link to a photography group called Shutter Sisters.

As soon as I saw what the Shutter Sisters were all about, I knew I had to be a part of them. And Gypsy Girl also mentioned a photo walk of San Francisco they were going to have after the photography session at BlogHer, a conference that was going on downtown this weekend (where lots of lady bloggers from the four corners of the earth descended onto the St. Francis Hotel to eat, sleep and breathe all things bloggy. No, I did not go.).

Gypsy Girl and I decided we'd like to join up for the photo walk, and we all met in the lobby at the appointed time. (Within about five minutes, I'd already made a new friend, too, the lovely Abbey.) But let me back up a sec...I'm leaving someone out. One of the reasons I wanted to go on this walk was to meet Karen, because she's one of the Shutter Sisters' team and I think her photography is exceptionally beautiful. (And yes, she is that gorgeous in person.)

So as the large group split up into smaller groups, and I made sure I was in Karen's group after introducing myself, Karen asked if anyone knew enough about downtown to help her lead her group (she's from Houston) and of course, I piped up. I mean, downtown is where I spend most of my life and I try to walk and take photos at lunchtime and before and after work as much as I can there.

I gave Karen two options since we only had 45 minutes for our excursion: the Art Deco buildings or Chinatown. The group resoundingly chose Chinatown, and I was glad because I've gone there so many times just to wander and take photos, so I already knew a lot of great photo ops. I've also done my homework and done a lot of reading about the history of Chinatown, because I like to know things about where I am, and Chinatown fascinates me to no end.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up leading the tour (I'm guessing we had about 30-40 people?), and I had a great time doing it. I got to pull out all of my Chinatown historical trivia: stories about some of the buildings, about the former brothels, the gambling going on in Spofford Alley, my favorite sign (The American Institute of Nose Disease) and to the myriad other sights that make you want to pull out your camera and click away.

I think everyone had a fun time. All the participants are going to send in photos of the walk to a communal group to share, and it will be exciting to see what people took photos of. (I'll let you know when that happens so you can see what we did.)

At the end of the walk, Karen took something off from around her neck and put it around mine: the Shutter Sisters Flashbulb necklace. In recognition of my tourguiding skills, I was made an Honorary Shutter Sister for a day.

Woo hoo!

And do you want to know what the secret best part of that story is? When I first went to the Shutter Sisters website that same day, I fell in love with that little flashbulb necklace and decided I would get one in the future.

And here it was, maybe just six hours later, and I had my own necklace, but the bonus was that it was already infused with the lovely energy of Karen, who'd worn it first.

Okay, I've got to run for now. I've got that tea party I told you about. And I have to figure out what to wear with my new necklace.

Catch you later, guys. ;-)

***

ps. Can anyone tell what that little ticket is in the top photo? Bonus points to you sharp-eyed people if you can!

14 comments:

christina July 20, 2008 at 8:04 AM  

Is that a duty free ticket?? That's my guess with out cheating.

I so fell in love with that necklace when I saw it on the website. So sweet and chic.

How beautiful your time sounded. I'm not surprised though, you have that effect on everyone : )

Have some tea for me please ; )

Anonymous July 20, 2008 at 9:19 AM  

Eet eez a Metro ticket forrr Pareeee, madame.

N'est ce'pas?

Great story, TB. Of COURSE you got the necklace. Silly girl.

Anonymous July 20, 2008 at 1:12 PM  

What Johanna said, Julie -- of COURSE you got the necklace -- you were awesome!

Thanks so much for showing the group around -- it's really my honour for you to have the necklace, and my true privilege to have met you. I hope I meet you again, soon!

K.

Anonymous July 20, 2008 at 9:26 PM  

what an awesome story!!!

Relyn Lawson July 20, 2008 at 10:45 PM  

Well, it is some kind of public transportation ticket. You know, Johanna is already a better friend than me. I bet she's also more well travelled, so I'm gonna go with her answer. Dear Pareeee?

What a wonderful treat you gave everyone. I've got to get over to your Flickr stream and photo blog. Wish I had been there with you.

julochka July 21, 2008 at 2:46 AM  

great story and a great necklace! and how lovely that it came all infused with wonderful energy. that's the best bit of the story!


and that ticket must be a metro ticket from paris, perhaps?

tangobaby July 21, 2008 at 10:03 AM  

Hi everyone!

Thank you for enjoying my little story as much as I did. It fairly made me giggle all the rest of the day...

And welcome, lovely Karen, my inspiration for the event and post and the giver of lovely things...

And hello stef, it was wonderful to meet you yesterday.

***

The prize of Smart Sleuthing goes to my pretty, my Johanna. She guessed right.

That is my sole suriving Paris Metro ticket. I had bought a *carnet* (a pack of ten) and had squirreled them away in all the pockets of my jeans so in dull, sad moments I could reach into my pocket and still find a little bit of Paris.

Sadly, this ticket is the only one that survived the wash...

Johanna, I will have to work out a prize for you for being a smart girl.

tracey clark July 21, 2008 at 10:15 AM  

brilliant. and i must say, you look lovely in the necklace. : )
it was a pleasure meeting you if only for a fleeting moment. you and your work are beautiful and i am happy that our paths crossed.
xo t

Anonymous July 21, 2008 at 10:28 AM  

Dear TB. You calling me pretty is prize enough.
xoxoxox

tangobaby July 21, 2008 at 4:30 PM  

Oh, hi Tracey,

Just seeing you here is giving me a nice little jolt of yesterday. *smile*

I'm planning on being a regular visitor to Shutter Sisters and your blog, so you'll see me around the blogosphere if not in person.

Until next time...

Hi Johanna,

But I still think you should get a prize. I just got a chocolate bar with bacon in it and I guess I could have sent it to you, but I already ate some of it. I will have to think of something else.

Until then, a kiss... XXX (or three)

Leaning Shanty Farm July 21, 2008 at 5:10 PM  

You MADE the tour!

I think I went on and on about you and the tour to my husband for most of the drive home. : ) It was the highlight of my BlogHer trip.

You knowing the history made it even better, too.

Can't wait for my personal tour!!!

PS Karen IS Gorgeous!!

tangobaby July 22, 2008 at 8:49 AM  

Hi Abbey,

Oh no, your poor hubby! ;-)

I'm kidding...that's very flattering...thank you!

I am sure I have lots more trivia and tours in my noggin so just let me know when you're ready for another visit.

I am wearing my necklace today to work to inspire me. Maybe I'll take a good photo today.

Anonymous July 24, 2008 at 8:57 PM  

tangobaby, this is what i love about you. there is just something in your approach, the way you approached this scenario, the post even, you also approach photography with and it is really delightful. delightful, like devouring a cupcake. i always feel like i'm getting a treat reading your posts. like i want to get out the strawberries and whipcream. : ) i'm so happy for your trivia moments and of course your necklace. you're a doll, i'm pretty sure of it.

tangobaby July 25, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

Oh, sarah, you're my treat too. I'm glad I can provide you with a little cupcake once in a while, a little whipped cream, maybe even a perfect strawberry on top.

;-)