julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Beautiful Compassionate Heart

I am totally blown away by something I just read.


There is a poetess, a caregiver, a sensitive with a large and compassionate heart that lives up in the cold, faraway kingdom of Alaska: mrs. sarah ott.

It's hard to describe Sarah, except to say that every time I read something she has written, I am touched and amazed by her wisdom, her ability to look at life through a very real, yet also very magical, prism.


in its raw, frazzled state, genius abounds and so in its natural wild, this creature transforms canvas to art. puts its stamp on life that says: THIS IS WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. and we the normal, stand before it in pencil skirts and legal pads, criticizing a level of genius we know nothing about. (wrtten off simply, insanity) in museums across the globe, we buy framed complicated concepts and hang them on our walls so that we appear more genuine and sophisticated.
Sarah's post today brings back memories of a troubled, brilliant soul I once knew and makes me realize that the things we cling to, what we sometimes hold most dear in our "normal" world, is often so shallow, without roots. She also makes me think about the people that help others so selflessly, with open eyes and willing hearts. Thank you, Sarah, for being one of those angels in the world.
.
(Perhaps I have these thoughts now as everyone in our office scurries to and fro to build penthouses and ski chalets for multi-millionares who will complain about the color of the Cape Walnut veneer being a shade off, that the imported Italian marble is just a bit dull, while looking for the perfect piece of some madman's art [his psyche] to hang above their meticulously crafted custom fireplaces.)
I took that photo last night on a walk down Haight Street.

6 comments:

christina July 16, 2008 at 3:15 PM  

As you already know my heart claimed this photograph and just won't let go : )

What a beautiful excerpt. I hope I am able to go over and take a look see at her words.

"what we sometimes hold most dear in our "normal" world, is often so shallow, without roots."
I read this and it was unbelievable the feelings that came over me. Your words describe exactly why I had to let go of a beautiful but rootless situation I found myself in.

I could go on forever but I won't. Wink!

I love this post my friend : )

Anonymous July 16, 2008 at 3:37 PM  

It's true, TB. Nobody understands us geniuses :-)

Wonderful post, and killer photo.

tangobaby July 17, 2008 at 10:26 AM  

Hi christina,

Hmmm...me thinks that photo might have to be part of someone's birthday present...hmmm, now who could that be?

I'm glad my words (and Sarah's) could help you in your situation. One of the things I like about blogging is finding companion spirits that make me feel like I can help, and be helped, too.

Hi Johanna,

Unfortunately, this kind of genius goes far beyond the pale, and I guess I will count myself very fortunate not to have to live such a difficult life.

Schizophrenia (that was the person I knew) and manic depression, and so many conditions of the mind...these conditions are heartbreaking in such a different and difficult way.

Anonymous July 17, 2008 at 10:44 AM  

My brother began dating someone just before they started to exhibit bipolar disorder. The descent into that world was heartbreaking.

Anonymous July 17, 2008 at 9:05 PM  

wow, tangobaby. i am stunned by your gesture. thank you. i want you to know i am so unbelievably exhausted from work today but i knew i could not end this day without thanking you for your generousity, your sharing nature. i am blushing and tingling. thank you for sharing my post in your blog. a web of something very good was been weaved. i'll write you more later. now i must crawl to my pillows. good night.

tangobaby July 18, 2008 at 10:27 AM  

Hi Johanna,

It's hard to put yourself in someone's shoes who has a condition like that, let alone even be an observer. I hope that girl got the help she needed to make life easier for her.

Well, hello dear Sarah,

There's no need to thank me at all, but I'm so glad you're excited, happy, tingly, blushing, whatever. You put so much of your heart out for us to see, and it's so good to know that in this big, rough world that people like you are out there.

I hope you got a lot of rest and and rejuvenated for the weekend.