julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What a Difference a Year Makes

But what minutes! Count them by sensation, and not by calendars, and each moment is a day. ~ Benjamin Disraeli



***

It's pretty much an accident that I discovered that today is my blog's first birthday. That was a fun little mind-boggling thought, I can tell you.

A year ago, I really wasn't quite sure what a blog even was.
A year ago, I was still trying to remember that I wasn't visiting San Francisco, but was actually a resident.
A year ago, I still had a car.
A year ago, I still owned a pair of shorts.
A year ago, I didn't have a camera.
A year ago, I didn't have the friends I have now, thanks to this little technological wonder we call the interwebs.

***

I almost didn't write this post because I figured it's kind of silly, a year is an arbitrary marker of time, and who cares? I'm not a very nostalgic person myself.

And then I thought about all of the doors that have opened for me, the knowledge I've gained, the words I've written, the things I think about now, the people who have touched my life and made it nicer and sweeter--all directly attributable to my little tangobaby patch of the blogosphere.

This Sunday I'm going to have a lovely tea/brunch with a new friend from Paris and another new friend from San Francisco (and we'll be joined by another 10 or 12 that I have not met yet), all of us living different lives and some in different cities, but all connected somehow by our words and thoughts. I would never have met these people in forever and a day if not through blogging.

And for all of the rest of you who I've come into contact with through this medium, thank you for hanging out with me. And for those of you who've just arrived, welcome.

I'm glad to know you.

Photo Time... from flickr.

12 comments:

christina July 16, 2008 at 3:05 PM  

I care that you have been blogging a year!!! Congratulations!! It is such a beautiful thing that your life is so much richer because of your blog.

I honesty can't picture my life without you : )

I'm so in love with your friend from Paris... and I bet I would love the rest of them too.

Have a spot of tea for me and have a beautiful time connecting with your friends on Sunday.

I will be sending peaceful thoughts your way.

: )

studio wellspring July 16, 2008 at 3:11 PM  

and we are so the lucky ones!
happy birthday tangobaby, and many many more....

Relyn Lawson July 16, 2008 at 8:34 PM  

Happy Blogiversary, Tangobaby. I'm so glad I know you.

Elizabeth Brinton July 16, 2008 at 9:04 PM  

You know we would not have even met if not for blogging! What kind of world would that be? Happy Blog Birthday
XO E

tangobaby July 17, 2008 at 9:56 AM  

Hi christina,

Thank you...and yes, where would we be without blogging? I sure would not have a sweet friend in Wisconsin, that's for sure! I am very grateful for you.

Oh, I wish you could join us here in SF for the tea party. I promise to tell you all about it, and you will be missed. Next year, lady.

;-)

Hi Ms. Wellspring,

I still smile at our special story. I think our blogging story is the best one of all, don't you think?!

You are my sunshine.

xo

Hi Relyn,

I'm so glad I know you too. Isn't it funny how a little comment can turn into a friendship? You are a darling person. I look forward to the day that I get to give you a real hug, in person.

Hi Elizabeth,

Exactly! I remember when we first caught each other's eye at dance class after writing to each other. And sitting with you at a milonga and laughing because you're just so sweet and fun.

And all because of blogging. Yay!

Anonymous July 17, 2008 at 8:04 PM  

Happy Anniversary, tangobaby! It has been a true pleasure getting to know you both from the internet and the externet perspectives. Have a great celebration and eat a lavender scone with clotted cream for me.

tangobaby July 18, 2008 at 10:34 AM  

Hi dutchbaby,

Yay, and thank you! I'm glad you're a regular visitor here, too. It's not the same as seeing you every week, but at least we still keep in touch.

I hope you are having a fabulous time in New York!

P July 18, 2008 at 2:50 PM  

Happy blogiversary! Congratulations on a great year of writing.

Psyche July 19, 2008 at 4:31 AM  

Happy birthday! I can't believe it's only been a year, you seem like a veteran blogger. I hope you keep blogging for years and years and years.

tangobaby July 21, 2008 at 9:42 AM  

Hi P and Psyche,

Thanks so much, and while I can't say I feel like a veteran, at least I can think that I have more of a clue now about blogging and writing. Although there's still a lot I can learn on both subjects.

Thanks for reading, guys. ;-)

La Tanguerita July 21, 2008 at 1:38 PM  

Happy birthday, TB and many happy returns:-)

tangobaby July 21, 2008 at 4:25 PM  

Hi La Tanguerita,

You know, I just realized...I probably should have had some cake to celebrate. I'll have to remedy that situation!

;-)