julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I just want to be wonderful.


You know how fun these little online quizzes are. But then you take one or two, and holy hell, you're like
damn, how'd they know?

My new blogging friend Char (who is a wonderful photographer, you should check out her photos) had this quiz on her blog today: Are You a Jackie or a Marilyn? Or Someone Else? Mad Men-era Female Icon Quiz

So here I am, but hopefully a little less neurotic. Take the quiz and let me know what you turned out to be.

I wonder if this explains why I used to be a platinum blonde? And the fascination with fake eyelashes?

ps.: For another fun quiz, if you're a Jane Austen fan, take a peek here.

***

You are a Marilyn -- "I am affectionate and skeptical."

Marilyns are responsible, trustworthy, and value loyalty to family, friends, groups, and causes. Their personalities range broadly from reserved and timid to outspoken and confrontative.

How to Get Along with Me
  • Be direct and clear
  • Listen to me carefully
  • Don't judge me for my anxiety
  • Work things through with me
  • Reassure me that everything is OK between us
  • Laugh and make jokes with me
  • Gently push me toward new experiences
  • Try not to overreact to my overreacting

What I Like About Being a Marilyn
  • being committed and faithful to family and friends
  • being responsible and hardworking
  • being compassionate toward others
  • having intellect and wit
  • being a nonconformist
  • confronting danger bravely
  • being direct and assertive

What's Hard About Being a Marilyn
  • the constant push and pull involved in trying to make up my mind
  • procrastinating because of fear of failure; having little confidence in myself
  • fearing being abandoned or taken advantage of
  • exhausting myself by worrying and scanning for danger
  • wishing I had a rule book at work so I could do everything right
  • being too critical of myself when I haven't lived up to my expectations

***

One of my favorite Marilyn roles is one that's very small and at the beginning of her career, as the pampered girlfriend in The Asphalt Jungle. She steals the scenes she's in and you know that girl's on her way to stardom.

The saddest time I ever saw Marilyn was in an interview she did with Edward R. Murrow on a celebrity interview show he had called
Person to Person (you can rent the entire series on DVD and it's really interesting). Here's the clip (you can download the entire clip here: www.imarilyn.com). It makes you wonder what would have happened to her if life had treated her a little more gently. I found some wonderful Marilyn quotes, including the title of this post, here.


27 comments:

Char December 17, 2008 at 4:48 PM  

:) awww, thanks! you're the sweetest. I can remember thinking with mine that I always wanted to be a "broad", a "dame" and really thought I would be Kate...but Bette is alright with me. I'm not quite as hard boiled, but she fits me well.

I have from my childhood, a Marilyn Monroe doll in a long red evening gown that I still treasure. She was so tragic and childlike in ways but I always loved her acting. I especially love in her All about Eve.

tangobaby December 17, 2008 at 4:51 PM  

Awww, sweetness right back atcha! I'm glad I found you...or you found me. However it happened. Anyway.

I always wanted to be a "broad," too, like Rosalind Russell. I tell people that I am going to be Auntie Mame when I get old. And then Ruth Gordon.

Bette's cool and smart and damn she could act. And yeah, Marilyn was great in All About Eve. Look, we were in a film together! lol.

That was fun today. I was going to write a serious post, but oh well. Sometimes Marilyns just up and change their minds about stuff.

Char December 17, 2008 at 4:53 PM  

I meant to write a serious post to but time slipped away from me - I also meant to go out shooting! LOL but, I got a lot of errands done, so it balances out. I did the Austen quiz and I'm: You Are...Catherine Morland!
You are Catherine Morland of Northanger Abbey! You love a good Gothic romance - so much, in fact, that you'll fool yourself into thinking you're living one! You are imaginative and naive, which is at once endearing and perplexing. Perhaps your heart is TOO pure...but it is adventurous. After all, you love a trip to Bath or a stay at an ancient Abbey.

Not sure if that fits for me but...I'll take it! :)

iasa December 17, 2008 at 4:53 PM  

I am an Ingrid. I can live with that, I get to be Notorious.

tangobaby December 17, 2008 at 4:58 PM  

@Char: I've never read that one. But I'm sure you're an awesome Catherine. I love Jane Austen heroines!

I was going to go out at lunch and take photos (not raining, not freezing) but I ended up working. And taking quizzes. Hope you get some good photos tomorrow?

@Iasa: Nothing wrong in the world with being Ingrid. She was a b-a-b-e! Notorious? Hell, you get Cary Grant at his most gorgeous. You go, girl.

robin laws December 17, 2008 at 5:25 PM  

i took the quiz but ran away when i was supposed to get my results... i don't know what that says about me. not something good i'm sure.

ahhh.. i love the title to the post and i see it is from marilyn herself. i know i just want to be wonderful too so maybe i am a marilyn. probably not though. i never did mange to wear false eyelashes of have a manicure that looked good.
xo
i hope you weren't too taxed at work today with all that avoiding and blogging...
:)

J9 December 17, 2008 at 5:49 PM  

I'm a Marilyn too. I always wanted to be Mae West though. I've found myself singing Auntie Mame in this economy - it fits. "We need a little Christmas, right this very minute."

Unknown December 17, 2008 at 6:53 PM  

Thanks for the link :D It was a pretty cool test. I turned out to be an Ingrid. Cool blog :)

Eyom December 17, 2008 at 6:56 PM  

I want to tango with you, Marilyn. :)

Congrats for being a noteworthy blogger.

The.Phynx December 17, 2008 at 6:56 PM  

Hiiii. :D Totally new, I've been sneaking on your blog for a couple of days now...lol Now that I see you're a Marilyn I just had to give in and comment. Something about Marilyn always melted me...reminds me of me (wonder if I get her on the quiz??) She seemed like a tough girl in some ways, but sooo soft in others. *sigh* That's me all the way. Anyway, I love the randomness of your blogs...you are the first person I'm officially stalking! lol

Blue Sky Dreaming December 17, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

I'm an Ingrid and I'm somewhat notorious...in my little circle! ha
I actually think her daughter is beautiful but I'm happy with Ingrid!
Mary Ann

Anonymous December 17, 2008 at 8:10 PM  

I'm a Doris. That was a fun little quiz, and surprisingly accurate! I found your blog through "blogs of note" and am now a big fan. :) Thanks.

Dutchbaby December 17, 2008 at 8:48 PM  

Hello Marilyn,

Kate Hepburn here! That was the funnest internet test I've ever taken. I'm so excited about being Kate, I'll have to blog about it also. I sense this quiz taking on viral proportions.

Thanks to you and to Char!

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted December 17, 2008 at 8:56 PM  

I am a Marilyn as well...it is actually very accurate.

I wanted to tell you that I have been enjoying reading your blogs. I found you through the blog of note of course and can't wait to hear more from you. I haven't been able to find time to read some of your earlier posts, but I'm sure I'll get around to it sooner or later!

The Rambler December 18, 2008 at 3:00 AM  

Doris Day here!

thanks for sharing SG (shiny gold :) !

Alexandra December 18, 2008 at 6:23 AM  

As you can see in "Links to this post", I am a Doris which actually surprised me, but it is quite accurate.

Also, just wanted to say I found you through Blogs of Note and I am so glad I did. You always make me smile, make my day a little brighter. Thanks :-)

Eternal Lizdom December 18, 2008 at 7:57 AM  

I'm a Katharine- very cool!

christina December 18, 2008 at 9:49 AM  

I'm tearing up. I am sure you know why, dear friend.

"a little more gently" Marilyn remains a beauty.

; )

julochka December 18, 2008 at 12:00 PM  

i hoped i would be marilyn, because i went through a marilyn phase (white dress and white blonde hair and all), but i'm bette. which actually pretty cool too.

Brook December 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM  

I'm an indecisive Marilyn who has been reading your blog on the sly for awhile now but feel compelled to finally say "Hi" and to say thanks for the quiz cause now I'll share the results with my hubby who sometimes just doesn't know how to deal with me. Thanks.

Lala December 18, 2008 at 1:09 PM  

Katherine talking... =)

Theresa December 18, 2008 at 1:24 PM  

She was so beautiful.

margeauxmargeaux December 18, 2008 at 4:23 PM  

I am an Ingrid(pleased) luv ya, Ingrid.
How to get along with me:
-give me lots and lots of compliments.
-be supportive of me.
-respect my special gifts.
-try to cheer me up, even if I tell you to piss off! you know what they say... if at first you don't succeed; try, try again.

verdict: I love quizzes..

Geert Groote and his urbane double egg. December 19, 2008 at 9:58 AM  

her eyes look so sad in that clip.

Geert Groote and his urbane double egg. December 19, 2008 at 10:00 AM  

ps. I took the quiz...I'm also Marilyn, and it's SO true.

msHedgehog December 19, 2008 at 10:20 AM  

I was a Marilyn too - and those are pretty good tips for how to get on with me!

Anonymous December 19, 2008 at 10:28 AM  

Marilyn's spirit must be in the air, only a few days ago I saved to my wallpaper one of the very last photos taken of Marilyn. She looks so reflective in it.