julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

WWMD? (What Would Michelle Do?)

As someone who loves the glamour of the olden days, especially from the movies (gowns by Irene and Adrian in particular), these sketches of what current designers would love Michelle Obama to wear to the inaugural ball are a lot of fun.I haven't watched the Academy Awards for several years now. I'm not really into seeing the people now considered to be "stars" all dressed up because they don't really interest me.


But I really really admire Michelle Obama, so I'll be thrilled to see her looking fabulous on her big day.



I'm not a huge fan of this Betsey Johnson dress, but I love the sentiments that Betsey expressed about the person she was thinking of when she drew it: "A true-blue lady," "A pearl of a girl," "A gardenia of white for one so bright," and especially "Shoes for a heart of gold."

The rest of the sketches are here at Women's Wear Daily. Which ones do you like?

***

If I could have one drawing of a favorite dress, it would be this:

From an upcoming auction on December 11: It's a sketch by Irene for the beautiful black gown that Rita Hayworth wears in You Were Never Lovelier. It is the gown in my favorite scene in the film (yes, I've posted it before but I'll never tire of it) and no one is more gorgeous than Rita in this number.

From the Hollywood Auction 33 catalog:
LOT #195
Irene costume design for Rita Hayworth in You Were Never Lovelier
(Columbia Pictures, 1942) Original costume design sketch by Irene accomplished in ink and pencil on a 12 ½ in. x 19 in. leaf of artist’s illustration paper tipped to an artist’s board. Featuring Rita Hayworth as “Maria Acuna” wearing a black gown with flowing train and a lace bodice.
$800 - $1000


18 comments:

Nancy Ewart December 3, 2008 at 3:23 PM  

She has the kind of body that can wear almost anything stylish but I'd love to see her in a Fortunay gown. Of course, they are as scarce as hen's teeth and cost the mint (or what's left after the various buyouts) but she's be a knockout. If she can't do that, I'd rather see her in some vibrant color - red, magenta, coral, - in a simple design that shows off her tall stature and accentuates her gorgeous mocha-brown skin. I am sure that she would look beautiful in black but she can wear colors - which some people can't - and I'm ready to be dazzled.

Anonymous December 3, 2008 at 5:50 PM  

I'm not sure about Michelle - pretty sure she doesn't do lace - but I'd be pretty happy with just about anything Ginger Rogers wore in her movies with Fred.

will December 3, 2008 at 6:06 PM  

Rita and Fred ... simply wonderful.

And the additional clips, especially the the one with R & F dancing to the overdubbed Norah Jones "I've Got to See You Again", totally cool.

christina December 3, 2008 at 8:03 PM  

I can't wait to see what, Michelle chooses. She will look stunning, I bet. ; )

Please feel better.

Anonymous December 3, 2008 at 8:23 PM  

i think that purple one suits her the best. i heard her say in an interview that she has to feel comfortable in it and that one looks the most comfortable. she is such an allaround babe. i wont be watching those awards but i will google her dress after its all over. : )

A Cuban In London December 4, 2008 at 2:15 AM  

The first one in my humble opinion.

Greetings from London.

Amanda December 4, 2008 at 5:12 AM  

Thanks for the link. I loved looking at all of those dresses.

It was, however, painfully obvious to me that some of those designers have no idea of her person or personality. There were some designs that I would bet $100 Michelle would not pick. They are just not "her."

Elizabeth Brinton December 4, 2008 at 11:07 AM  

The first gown is very "Michelle". She seems to wear the purple-violet end of the spectrum very well, it is almost a signature color for her. She displayed some charm and frivolity with the cloth flower brooches and baubles, but ought to play that down to something very small now. She isn't a lacey person...for some reason. More classic with a twist.
Even though I like Betsey Johnson, it is all wrong for a first lady. I hope she chooses well. I hope she gets the kind of help Jackie Kennedy did, from top designers, to combine with good instinct for her own look. It will be interesting for sure.

julochka December 4, 2008 at 12:11 PM  

it is so exciting to think about the inauguration. i like the christian lacroix (#13), the purple tracy reese that you show here (#19). do you suppose michelle is looking at these sketches too? :-)

rochambeau December 4, 2008 at 2:52 PM  

Hey Tangobaby,
Just had a visit to your collection. It's FABULOSO! It is interesting to see Mission through your eyes. You have a witty and ironic side that is so appealing.

I too love beautiful gowns very much and like you, don't spend much time watching watching award shows. I like artistic foreign films the most.

Again your photos are really wonderful J!

xox
Constance

Tess Kincaid December 4, 2008 at 3:26 PM  

It will be SO exciting to see what Michelle wears to the ball! She's so tall and lean that clothes look marvelous on her. I'm sure anything she chooses will be fabulous. She has great taste and a wonderful sense of style. I love this Cinderella/Camelot exciting kind of thing!!!

Vanessa December 4, 2008 at 5:02 PM  

I think you could actually pull of that Rita Hayworth dress, but I'm not so sure it would flatter Mrs Obama. It's definitely your style!

I think the Monique Lhuiller gown would be glorious on her.

Kath December 4, 2008 at 6:40 PM  

I love the red one. But red is my favourite. Oddly I own no red clothes but my house sports splashes of red all through it.

Shania December 4, 2008 at 10:29 PM  

I hope she chooses the blue/purple one. It's gorgeous. I also hope my father's senator friend comes through with tickets, so I can see whatever she chooses in person!

Anquises December 5, 2008 at 7:11 PM  

¿No es este el vestido (y la voz) de un angel?:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=TF0XSkb7TyM

Alexander Santillanes December 9, 2008 at 9:28 AM  

I'm so excited to have a first lady with style. Has anyone started making Ms. O paper dolls yet? -X

Brenda Susan December 11, 2008 at 5:58 PM  

O man, tha's the main reason I love the oldies. I watch them for the clothes & my hubs just doesn't get that at all!

Dolli September 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM  

Okay, we have got to find out about the brooch she wore with the hot pink tonight. Looked like lavender and pink, with maybe some blue. I thought Swarovski Crystal.