julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, June 22, 2009

the best of friends

Patti and Ginny

***

The more pictures I take, the more I learn. Or perhaps the more pictures I take, the more I see and then wish to see beyond even that.

Today a friend who is a painter said that she wanted to take me to a photography exhibit with her because, as a painter, she knows how to look at a painting but thinks she does not know how to look at a photograph. That made me nervous because I am not sure I know how to look at a photograph either.

All I know how to do is look at what I want to see.

***

I've been very focused on taking pictures of people because I learn so much. I learn about lighting and angles of the face. I try to figure out how I can capture a person in the way I think I understand them to be and then sometimes am rewarded when the subject likes what I have done.

Up until now, I've also been very focused on capturing the individual in relationship to a place, but not to another being.

That's a whole new ball of wax. Taking a photo of a relationship. I had never thought about that before.

***

"Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet." ~ Colette

I have known Patti (the human in the photo above) for over two years. Maybe it's been three, I can't remember. We met on the tango dance floor. She was the first woman I'd ever danced with and is a very special dance partner to me. I wish that the tango community at large appreciated her as much as I do.

In getting to know Patti more outside of tango, I can easily say that she is probably one of the kindest and most sensitive, empathetic people I have ever met. Her heart knows no bounds. When I first wrote about K and the kids, she was one of the very first people to step forward with a donation (probably much more than she could afford but so very much needed), an incredibly honest letter of support and a continued interest that did not abate after the initial novelty of K's story on my blog wore off for some readers.

But that's just how Patti is.

Patti has a new girl in her life, Ginny the kitty. I finally met Ginny last week after hearing about her for a while. Ginny needed a special friend in the way only someone like Patti could be, and for this little kitty, there could be no better angel.

I hope you will read about Patti and Ginny. I think you will find that their combined stories, along with this most lovely set of photos, is the very essence of what it means to care and love, no matter the outcome.

This was the first photo shoot that made me cry when I edited it. It was so beautiful, knowing their story, that I could not help it. But the tears were so worth it. I'm truly grateful that Patti and Ginny wanted to share their stories with me, and with you, too.

6 comments:

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats June 21, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

I too had tears in my eyes..it is so wonderful, rejuvenating, gives me faith in people when someone takes on a "special needs" cat.

To give them a loving, pampered, doted upon life for however long they have.

I so smiled while reading Ginny's story from her perspective, as I truly feel that is how cats think.

I have been fortunate enough to find homes for 2 older kitties with health issues and they brought so much into each others lives.

I visited your flickr shoot and left some thoughts on my favorite shots.

will June 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM  

I want to offer a critique but the tenor of comments and blog noise is most often stifling in praise and kudos. To me a critique is neither positive or negative - just a different POV with the intention of making better pictures.

Some people fade with criticism, others laser in on what is said. Again, most blog comments tend to be marshmallows so I don't know what you prefer.

BTW, I have no intention of ripping or tearing, just a view of details, and, as is said, perfection is in the details and you seem on the verge of artistic breakthroughs.

If you prefer I will comment via email.

Mary-Laure June 22, 2009 at 3:11 PM  

Colette is my favorite French writer. She wrote so beautifully about her animals friends.

christina June 23, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

This is lovely. Sniffle.

I will go and check out more of these photos.
xo

SE'LAH... June 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM  

Colette is lovely...and so is this post.

That photo is so touching.

Relyn Lawson June 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

It's late, Jeffrey and Sloane leave tomorrow for Oregon. Without me. Jeffrey is asking me to come to bed. And I can't. Why? After an intro like that, I must go read Patti and Ginny's stories first.