julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, June 29, 2009

Sharing Pride 2009

Here's a small selection of the photos I took yesterday at Pride. You can see the entire set here although I'll probably add a few more photos over time as I finish working on them.


It's colorful and happy and riotous and I love a good excuse to see people dressed up and having fun.

The families, the parents, the friends and loved ones... that is also what I see.

I hope you can see the good spirits and joy shining through the recent disappointments (President Obama, when will you step up and do what's right?).

I walk away with optimism and hope even though the path to acceptance is not an easy one, even though there's no reason why it couldn't be.

It's hard to understand why we still need to raise the issue of fairness, civil rights and tolerance in this country, which obviously has such a long way to go yet holds itself up as a model for the rest of the world.

Just one more image to really ponder...

Bless their hearts. Really and truly.

14 comments:

The Rambler June 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM  

That last photo is really and truly great :)

Mel June 29, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

Great Photos as always! Especially the last. Needed that with this all over the news in my neck of the woods. http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/06/29/dnt.tx.gay.bar.controversy.kdaf

Kelly Kilmer June 29, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

Those pictures ROCK! I love Charlie and Ken-hope they have many more happy years together.
Ahh, I love your blog!!!

Char June 29, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

love is love to matter the sex, color or creed

Adan June 29, 2009 at 6:19 PM  

I finally got around to watching the movie Milk. I have seen bits and pieces of it, but finally I got to see the whole thing without stopping. Loved the movie. Rights, gay or not, need to be honored.

Here is an idea. Take away the benefits of marriage from the straight people to keep it fair.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats June 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM  

Here, here to Adam and to Tango and to love...I want me some.

Mari June 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM  

There you go, bringing a tear to my eye again!

Just Jules June 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

Oh my - won't see anything like that around here! Love it. I really like the married with kittens poster.

Elyse June 30, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

"Married with kittens" So great! =D I missed my city's Pride Parade this year because I was in Arkansas (I'm kind of doubting they have one there), so your photos made me so happy! =)

NodtoMod Vintage June 30, 2009 at 8:35 AM  

LOVE this! fabulous photos! great for them! xo

Anonymous June 30, 2009 at 9:23 PM  

I absolutely can not get over what an amazing photography opportunity the parade was. I would have killed to have been out there. I would have taken thousands of pictures. Not to mention loved every moment of the protest. My inner political activist would have shown himself.

I'm Katie. July 1, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

Charlie and Ken made me laugh with tears in my eyes.

Wonderful!

paris parfait July 2, 2009 at 1:16 AM  

This parade is always fun to watch the way people express their individuality. Great signs, i.e. You can't amend this family.

Eternal Lizdom July 2, 2009 at 6:30 AM  

I was 13 or 14 years old when I spent a summer with my aunt and uncle in San Fran. My mind was not yet open to "different lifestyles." I'd been raised VERY conservatively. And I accidentally wandered upon a parade. The Pride Parade. And it changed my life. It opened my eyes. I suppose it could have freaked me out and sent me running back to Ohio with my tail tucked between my legs. But God blessed me with an open heart and an open mind. And because of that parade and the love and joy and pride I witnessed, I started questioning and learning and researching. And discovered that I could love God deeply and devoutly and be open, accepting, loving of ALL people. That I was not only free to love ALL people- but that it is expected of me as a Christian, as a child of God. My faith is why I am passionate about gay rights, equality, fairness, freedom.

Sorry to get all preachy- I know it isn't for everybody. But I wanted to share that.