julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Continuum

wheels
downtown, yesterday
(click on the photo to enlarge)

***
"Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while." ~ Author Unknown

I took this photo yesterday while I was downtown, supposed to be paying attention to someone else.


The contrast of the young man on the skateboard and the older man in the whee
lchair was like a sudden invisible slap. This was the only photo I was able to take with both of them in action, moving in separate lines on their own trajectories, in the same frame for an instant.

Both of them on wheels.


***

Yesterday was a day of contrasts and many meetings.


People with jobs.
People knowing they'll lose theirs very soon.
Love and devotion.
Mediocrity.
Loneliness.

Cluelessness.
Purposefulness.
Questionable massage parlors.
Fancy hotel lobbies.

Happy hour sangria.
Bowls of cereal.
Laughing.
Dying.
Sun.
Mist.


***

Some days I think I wouldn't be able to write a word if
I didn't have one of my pictures to get me started. But I don't mind it... actually I'd feel okay with just the pictures.

More later.
I'm still thinking of what I want to say.
But here's what I saw.

Thanks for looking with me.
xoxo

8 comments:

The Pink Cowboy June 18, 2009 at 1:28 PM  

I once encountered a young woman from Cuba. We started a conversation about her life in the US. Strangely enough she mentioned the fact that the US has so many signs everywhere that people do not need to speak to each other. They only need to point at a sign to express what's on their mind. It seemed a sort of weird observation but the more I think about it the more sense it makes. We live in a semiotic paradise (to some is hell)
The old man and the youngster in wheel is sheer serendipity. There is a thriving mysterious energy communicating with us all of the time, if only we stop to observe and listen.
I do not take photos, the photos take me...and then reveal themselves to me.

~DokterKenny June 18, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

Your first picture reminds me of the great Oedipus Myth: What walks on 4 legs in the morning, 2legs in the afternoon & 3 legs in the evening?'

as for the rest of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLm3HMG8IhM

d smith kaich jones June 18, 2009 at 1:51 PM  

That Wheels image is absolutely perfect. You got it. Nailed it. Perfect.

:) Debi

Anonymous June 19, 2009 at 4:33 AM  

you may feel like you are at a loss for words but the rest of us wish we were as eloquent as you. images are gorgeous.

Marilyn Miller June 19, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

Your pictures touch me. They speak volumes. Pictures draw me in more and more each day and there are days when I am inspired by looking at a picture also.

Unknown June 19, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

Ahh, "The Green Door." How many times I've walked past it on my way home. I still remember when I thought it actually was a massage parlor.

Love love LOVE the "wheels" photo!

Laura Doyle June 20, 2009 at 8:10 AM  

Your day sounds full of life's extremes...if not abundant, than at least rich in diversity. Your photos seem like deep thoughts to me. Beautiful and sad and life-changing, but only if you're looking at them right. : ) Maybe it's the combination of your brilliantly simple words to go along with them. I don't know. But lovely!

Thank you so much for the encouragement. "GO!" I keep expecting resistance, but I'm just not getting it. I woke up this morning with a serious case of nervous excitement and childlike butterflies...I don't know why. We haven't even decided yet...we're still dancing around the issue, flirting with it.

Henry Finkelstein June 28, 2009 at 7:34 AM  

I just love that first picture with the skater and gramp. Well done!