julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, June 8, 2009

The Sound of Our Voices

In blogging, the written word becomes a substitute for our audible voice. We read each other's bloggy voices, supply intonation and diction according to our own imaginations.

How particularly special it is when you get to hear the sound of a friend's voice, someone who's voice you've only heard in your head until now.

***

When Adam at I Don't Give 2 Cents, I Throw Quarters first started reading my blog last year, I was really struck by his honesty and willingness to put his opinions and feelings out in passionate and well-reasoned ways. I found his viewpoint to be refreshing and I liked that he challenged me.

When Adam invited me to be a guest on his podcast for his blog, I was flattered but I also didn't know what to expect. We ended up having an hour-long conversation that felt like we've always been hanging out and chatting.

It was great to hear the sound of a blogger's voice, as Adam put it: "some one who exists as 9-point type is now a real person." I'm really grateful and super thrilled that Adam so generously wanted to make my recent posts and goings on such a big part of his blog.

I hope you'll take some time to listen to our conversation. There's some cool music before and after our interview, provided by his sponsor Papyrus Records, and I've really enjoying listening to our talk. We talked a lot about K and the kids, and about Prop. 8.

So now, for the curious, you can hear what some bloggers' voices sound like if you've already been reading our posts.

***

I, for one, did not end up sounding like Kathleen Turner. Apparently, Moon Unit Zappa's influence on my manner of speaking has never really faded (I guess you can take the girl out of the valley but not the Valley out of the Girl, so that's unfortunate) although I did not utter the word tubular. (To my credit, I did not swear.)

Adam, on the other hand, sounds very professional, has a lovely, smooth speaking voice and certainly has a talent for radio. Ohio radio stations, you should hire this guy as a DJ.

I hope you enjoy the podcast, too. Let us know what you think.

And thanks again, Adam. I hope this chat is the first of many.

11 comments:

Yoli June 8, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

I know how you sound like woman! I heard the interview on TV. Wouldn't it be great if all of our favorite bloggers could leave a sound bite?

Love the interview and your friend.

DollZandThingZ June 8, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

You both sounded really great. I wasn't able to listen to the entire hour, but I did hear quite a bit of it. It's really amazing that we can communicate this way.

I have often thought that blogging and working on a computer turns us into "silent people" in some respects.

I think your interview and others like it bring a new dimension to the idea of Internet communication. Good job!

Sallycat June 8, 2009 at 4:08 PM  

Hey TB,

From my sofa in BsAs (I have the flu!) me and my hot water bottle listened to the whole thing ;)

How bloody marvellous to hear your calm warm voice at last you super woman you!

Liked what you said too. Mucho.
Keep following your heart and doing what you believe in.

I salute you my friend, SC

Char June 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

you ooze charm and grace with the sass of a 40's dame. gotta love that.

Anonymous June 8, 2009 at 5:09 PM  

Listened to the show. It was amazing! It's so awesome to hear your voice.

Adan June 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

it was great to have you on, and you are so damn kind. Thanks again for being apart of my blogoshpere and being so gosh darn awesome!

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats June 8, 2009 at 7:44 PM  

Oh my gosh...how great to hear your voice...I only listened for a snippet and will be back, but I swear it felt like I was sitting across from you...thanks for sharing with us!

Silliyak June 8, 2009 at 8:06 PM  

Only heard the Valley Girl at the beginning. I think that as you relaxed, it went away. I'm curious. Is that how your voice sounds to you? I have a nasal sounding voice, but I don't hear it that way unless I hear a recording of myself.

Adan June 9, 2009 at 6:25 AM  

looks like you got the embed code working! nice work!

and silliyak, yeah, voices sound different when you listen to it. It took me the longest time to listen to my own voice without going.....is that how i sound?

Marilyn Miller June 9, 2009 at 7:52 AM  

I also loved listening to your voice on the Podcast. Adam did sound so professional. But I enjoyed your words about K and the caring I could hear in your voice.

The Pink Cowboy June 9, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

I just heard your sweet voice on the podcast. Love you telling the story about K. I hope she is doing fine.