julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

You are young, broke and beautiful.

Thus sayeth Broke-Ass Stuart.

***

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm broke. And occasionally I've been known to be beautiful but that takes some doing these days. But young? I guess I'll just say I'm as young as I feel and usually that's a good 20 years younger than my driver's license says I am.

I know that I say that each photo shoot I do for i live here: SF is really great and I love meeting new people and seeing what kind of predicaments we will get in and generally getting all excited about the unknown: Will we have any chemistry that will make itself present in the photos? Will these photos be worth sharing? What surprises will I learn about this person?

Basically, a lot of these shoots are like blind dates without the dinner. I often know little to almost nothing about the people I'm going to meet, and I think I really like it that way.

***

Enter Broke-Ass Stuart.

When he contacted me to inquire about being part of i live here:SF, I was really thrilled. I mean, I know who he is. I have a copy of his book. Here I am with a real, live published author.

But the dude in person is a thousand times more interesting to hang out with, and quite funny and playful, as you'll see in our shots. There's a lot less filter with Stuart, which I happen to like, and what you see is what you get. He's a bit of a whirlwind. And then reading the story he wrote to go with his photos... now there's just a whole other side of him.

It was singularly enjoyable to be hanging out with Stuart on a random grey Tuesday in the afternoon, walking all the way from the F-Line streetcar stop in front of the Twin Peaks bar in the Castro, all the way through the Lower Haight, up into Hayes Valley and beyond.

Me in my common unemployedness and him in his professional broke-assness.

I almost felt like a 20-something year-old hipster. It was cool.

***

10 comments:

Ady Grafovna June 16, 2009 at 7:44 AM  

I love your project and I like reading all the blogs and looking at all the photos. My best friend lives in SF and LOVES it there. With all these awesome people, I can see why!

tangobaby June 16, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

Hi Ady and thanks for your comment. You should put your friend in touch with me and see if she wants to be a part of the project, too.

Thanks for reading!

Laura Doyle June 16, 2009 at 9:54 AM  

You know, it just occurred to me that at sometime in the future, we'll look back on these days with fondness.

I spent the morning in the sun on my mom's lawn, watching my brother get showered in grass clippings and sticks by his fiance's 1 year old son. All of us were there...jobless...laying around in the sun while the retired neighbors turned up their noses.

You spent an afternoon freely roaming the city in pleasant company and conversation, the way we all used to when we were young and bored.

It's not all bad. : )

I left this before checking out the new shoot, so I'm heading over now.

Mari June 16, 2009 at 10:07 AM  

I don't always comment on them, but I love seeing all your photo subjects and reading their stories!

Brook June 16, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

We were in SF last week(ish)and had a great time. I could see how it is a place that can capture a heart and mind and imagination in no time at all. Some how it didn't grab me and not let me go-but I'm willing to give it another shot =)

Yoli June 16, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

Ah to be you for one day, dear lady.

Cielo Gold June 16, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

I heart Stuart. I have his book too and he even signed my copy. What an excellent candidate for your i live here: SF project. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

The Pink Cowboy June 16, 2009 at 5:26 PM  

Great photo, his face glows is very inviting. The colors look saturated on purpose, it has a "soft" angle to it, almost ethereal but sexy.

Unknown June 18, 2009 at 9:25 AM  

Whenever I hear someone speak of SF they always say how expensive it is to live there. I know SF can't be that one dimensional. I've always wanted to visit, and I might someday.

Char June 20, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

you know you're edgy when people contact you instead of you contacting them. congratulations - you're arriving.