julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

L'Égyptienne

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive." ~ Anäis Nin

How it happens that one meets a person, in any number of circumstances, and the lingering impression that one is left with, like a trace of perfume or a memory of a warm smile... aren't those the things that make us wonder more about a person? You pass by them, but are touched by something else much deeper that remains with you.

***
abrazo soleado, 2008
acrylic on canvas, 24x8

So quiet was my introduction to the lovely woman you see above. Actually I had come to dance. Unbeknownst to me, the woman in the simple, elegant red dress and silver shoes who was dancing too was also the artist whose striking, beautiful paintings covered the walls around the dancers.

abrazo rosado, 2008
acrylic on canvas, 24x8

Watching her dance and looking at her art were one and the same. At the end of the evening, I had to tell her so, and the rest is still unfolding. I'm glad to say she is my friend now.


***

You have no idea how incredibly difficult it was to choose a photo for this post. The rest of the images live here, but you should read her story first.

grace, 2004
acrylic on canvas, 24x36

all images here courtesy of the artist

13 comments:

Anonymous March 25, 2009 at 2:13 AM  

I love her photograph. And will save the link for later this evening when the house is quiet :-)

paris parfait March 25, 2009 at 5:28 AM  

Such an interesting woman. Her art is fascinating and your lovely photos offer a glimpse of the complexities of this woman of the world.

Unknown March 25, 2009 at 6:44 AM  

What an interesting lady... but you should know that the link to Soad's studio doesn't work. As usual, your photos are ever inspiring.

P.S. Left a little something for you on my blog hunt list yesterday.

SE'LAH... March 25, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

Love that first photo...very captivating.

Alicia @ boylerpf March 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

very interesting biography...I really like the second photo with the untold feeling of dancing together.

christina March 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

She is beautiful. I am in love with her art.
xo

Mari March 25, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

So very interesting. Love the photos, love seeing the material of her scarf (?) up close.

Char March 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

she is just stunning

Yoli March 25, 2009 at 1:10 PM  

You captured her beautifully.

Bee March 25, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

The Nin quote really sets the tone for a very seductive post. I must go see all the rest, now.

(I've given an award to you -- but don't feel obligated to pass it on if you don't like that kind of thing. I wanted to mention your new projects, though, because I think they are FANTASTIC.)

ArtSparker March 25, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

Lovely Series - of photos. I think of the tango teacher in Happy-Go-Lucky

Cartooncharacter March 26, 2009 at 1:34 AM  

Soad is lots of fun to dance tango with, too, aside from being a fantastic painter.

A Cuban In London March 26, 2009 at 2:57 AM  

What a beautiful story. I love the mystery her veils represents and the first painting is adorable. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.