julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Opening Hearts and Homes

Meet Julie, the newest face on i live here: SF

***

Collaboration. Sharing. Expression. This project feels like the start of a snowball that's growing and rolling. I'm learning a lot already: how to try to put someone at ease but then not spend more time talking than taking photographs, how to direct someone to move and look and be still. It takes time for us both to warm up to each other and to the actual photography session.

I'm loving that I can use my makeup artistry skills in ways I never imagined. To enhance a face and then be able to photograph it in my way. I thought I had put all that makeup stuff behind me, burned out and not interested in it anymore, and now I look forward to the makeup almost as much as I do the photo shoot. I had missed touching faces.

The fact that strangers will share their stories, open their faces and their hearts and their homes to some random woman with a camera and an dream is overwhelmingly wonderful. I stand amazed at how this is going. And my dance card is filling up. Five to six new faces wait for this weekend to be created and discovered.

***

I also love getting to know the people on the other side of the camera. Their hopes and aspirations, our common bond of living here in San Francisco, what they would like to do with their photographs. The shared excitement when they tell me which photos they like.

I have an understanding with these people who are so generous: they have the final say on the photos that I will use. I think that's only fair. I'm not going to cajole them or convince them about which photos I think are best. We're going come to that consensus together and present them in they way they wish to be seen.

***

I'm happy I don't know where this project will lead to, but more and more, I'm picturing a party at the end of it, perhaps in a gallery with all of these wonderful faces on the walls, and all of the people whose photos were taken are there, mingling with each other and meeting each other for the first time and saying hey, I saw your photo on the blog and I loved it. I read your story. It's so nice to meet you in person.

And I'll just be off in the corner somewhere, watching all of the interactions and feeling really great.

Hmmm... maybe that's my birthday present this year.

***

You can read more about Julie here.

22 comments:

christina March 11, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

She is gorgeous! I love that she picked this photo. It's so serene. I wonder if she was listening to music.

affinity March 11, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

I would love to come to a party and meet you and the people you have been photographing...and see your photos of them next to them, and maybe even meet some of the people you have interviewed, that would be fab...

tangobaby March 11, 2009 at 9:40 PM  

Hi affinity...

Then you can help me make it happen, if you would like. You can help me find SF people who want to be photographed, maybe on your blog or tell your friends, or any other ideas are welcome.

The more good ideas and support I have, the more it all comes together. so thank you!

;-)

A Cuban In London March 12, 2009 at 2:21 AM  

She conveys a sense of elegance and composure hard to find around. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

Char March 12, 2009 at 6:12 AM  

I am loving this project - you find the most interesting of people and your photographs of them are so beautiful. She definitely had a large selection to choose from. You are talented and then so warm that I can't imagine people telling you no (like they do me).

Unknown March 12, 2009 at 6:29 AM  

She looks like she's thinking of the happiest time of her life... or dreaming of what she wants to come true.

Great pic! You should, if you haven't already, consider a coffee table book of this collection.

julochka March 12, 2009 at 6:31 AM  

oh, i see the gallery too...awesome!!! especially because i see yummy little cocktail snacks and big, lush cocktails....is it 5 o'clock yet?

Anonymous March 12, 2009 at 6:44 AM  

makes me wish that i lived in san fran.

Yoli March 12, 2009 at 7:03 AM  

I think my birthday present this year is to go to SF and annoy you enough, so that you will photograph me. Beautiful Tango Lady.

d smith kaich jones March 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM  

" . . . a camera & a dream."

I love that.

:) Debi

Blue Sky Dreaming March 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

First you perceive it (gallery, cocktails)in a loose loving way... then you/it manifests itself!! Give it more power...tell others! I'll be there!

paris parfait March 12, 2009 at 9:57 AM  

Beautiful image; beautiful woman. I love seeing the diversity of San Francisco in your project. xo

Bee March 12, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

So many Julies in your life right now! The new SF site is lovely and interesting.

~DokterKenny March 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM  

Breathtaking...she is perfection.

Jules you really need to start watermarking your photos they are that good!

P March 12, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

Wonderful shot! Good for you for making this happen. xoxo, P.

Gabby March 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

You continue to amaze me when I think I've seen all you can do! Astounding.

Relyn Lawson March 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

I wonder if you know how much you inspire me? I love that you have an idea, you grab it, you go out and make something wonderful of it. You give your dreams hands and feet. And, those are the best kind of dreams.

rosedale's 4head March 12, 2009 at 5:24 PM  

your subjects are so lucky to have you and i know you learn much from them as well...a unique way to spread love...an exciting time this must be...and an excellent idea...

early prediction...i'm seeing museum exhibit...i feel it in my bones...

Kath March 12, 2009 at 5:42 PM  

Wow, you have been so busy. You touch my face every morning. Today I opened the YSL mascara (I know, I know, I made the other last two extra months - for shame! but I'm a cheapy). I love it. And I'm using the toner now too. The photo is wonderful, your projects do inspire me my friend.

Kennethwongsf March 13, 2009 at 3:02 AM  

You can't sit in the corner of the room when this historic gathering takes place. You are the crossroad, the intersection where all these strangers' stories converge. We--the beneficiaries of your talent--will insist on making you the toast of the town.

Laura Doyle March 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM  

I'm so caught up in your vision! I'll visualize it with you. : )

The world has needed someone like you for a very long time. You are so real and you reach out instead of holding back. I can't wait to see what happens with these new ambitions of yours!

(my word verification is foloise - sounds french, huh?)

CrochetBlogger March 13, 2009 at 7:39 PM  

I love the additional information about the process of this project that you've shared here. So inspiring! And I'll definitely be at that party when it takes place. :)