julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Banana Brick

Truly, and I share this tip with you from the bottom of my heart:

Do NOT just willy-nilly decide to change your blog's template. It WILL fuck you up.

***

That is my tip for you for today.

***

Also, I have another tip for you, now that I think about it:

If a recipe calls for baking powder, and you don't have any baking powder, go and GET SOME.

***

After I pouted in my bed for a while about my self-inflicted template tragedy, I decided to make a banana bread because a) pretty much all we have to eat in the house is a bunch of 4-5 very ripe bananas, and b) making banana bread does not involve a computer or blog template.

It does, however, involve some sort of leavening agent (of which I have none).

I guess after all of those family Passovers and cautionary stories about wandering about in the desert for 40 depressing years, yada yada yada, I'd be really up on the whole leavening thing, but no, here is one instance where listening to a bible story might have helped me.

I now have a piece of what I could call Banana Matzoh, but it is a bit thicker than that so technically it's more of a Banana Brick.

It smells good, though, so I'm still going to eat some of it when I can hack off a chunk.

***

ps.: Feel free to tell me the blog looks better. I am working on it. Perhaps this will cause me to be more of a minimalist since I can't seem to remember what else I had up here before the tragedy.

12 comments:

DollZandThingZ September 29, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

Banana brick...for some reason I am laughing when I should probably be saying I am so sorry the bread was not exactly what you hoped for. But, I needed to laugh today. Instead, I will I thank you for a very funny blog post!

will September 29, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

Hacking on a banana brick is a very funny picture. Oh, and your blog look just fine.

Greg September 29, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

the only reason I haven't changed the layout of my site, which is totally 2006, is because I KNOW I don't have the level of tech knowledge MT requires to change it, and I had a near fatal wipe out of all my blog posts that almost gave me a heart attack.

I'm having a "Got Milk" moment right now, somehow I don't think booze or water works with cereal and bananas.

sars! September 29, 2009 at 1:28 PM  

I love the new photo in the header, its fabulous. And from someone who's baked in professional kitchens... take heart. A banana brink has to be tastier than cheesecake for 50 ---that has no sugar :o)

RNSANE September 29, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

An ancient leavening agent, long past its prime is no good, either...as I discovered once as I wasted very costly ingredients. Those expiration dates, at least as it regards baking soda, etc, make a difference!

Banana hard tack might be good for a camping expedition up Mt. Whitney. Perhaps you've come across something that might sell well at REI.

seeree, phd September 29, 2009 at 2:00 PM  

One time I made some banana muffins. They were so delicious that when the occasion arose again, I decided to make them again. Imagine my shock when I discovered the second time around that I accidentally used baking soda instead of baking powder. They were rather dense banana muffins, but were delicious so I didn't think anything of it. Until a week later. So the second time I added both powder and soda, and they were certainly fluffier, but still very delicious! You have made me want to go out and buy some overripe bananas to make some more bread! And I like the layout. :)

Brook September 29, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

If ya wanna see what else can happen when you don't follow the directions exactly look at my "Gramdma Fried Chicken" post...the peach cake. Why should I use the pan size called for in the recipe? Now I know!

Char September 29, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

hack up the brick and make bread pudding with it?

d smith kaich jones September 29, 2009 at 4:30 PM  

Oh. I know! The template thing. Will make you nuts. I gave notice & shut my blog off to the public (teehee - like there's just zillions of folks checking me out; the public, dontcha know) before doing the changes. Drank a bunch of Pepto Bismol first also. Luckily it went well, although if I go back to old stuff, some of it's not centered where it should be, but really, not too bad. The worst was having to re-enter everyone's blogs; there are a couple of people I've never tracked back down because the name of their blog isn't exactly the blog address and I just can't find them. Oh well.

This looks wonderful, Miss Tango - it really does. The header is a gorgeous photo of gorgeous you & all is well.

Banana brick though? Wow. That's why I don't cook.

:) Debi

Nancy Ewart September 30, 2009 at 9:58 AM  

I love the new look and the new photo of you is "da bomb." I am eagerly awaiting tomorrow's Chron; let's hope it leads to more good things for you (with money!). The banana brick/matzo story is hilarious. I did the same thing with a bread recipe that I was fooling with. The resulting brick could have been used for a cornerstone for a 40 story building. It was completely uneatable; in fact, I hacked it into some bits and tried to feed it to the local pigeons. Even our flying scavenger rats wouldn't eat it.

Anonymous September 30, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

Banana brick and blog look: all good.

Anonymous September 30, 2009 at 1:07 PM  

It is looking very minimalist right now, but it is done very well. You have great taste.