julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, September 19, 2009

The world from their window


I think I forgot to share this photo with you before I put it on flickr.

Three little girls looking out over Polk Street from their Tenderloin apartment window. Someone paid me a huge compliment and said this had some Robert Frank magic to it, which I do take as a huge compliment.

I love their unique and individual reactions to what they're seeing on the streets below. I guess they didn't notice me.

There's a recent article on Frank in Vanity Fair (thanks Plug1, for making me aware of it). I still wonder why it was that he gave up photography. At this time in my life, I can't imagine that someday I won't want to capture images. Perhaps one can get tired of seeing. Or trying. I hope I don't.

***

Listen, I've kinda hinted around about the article in the San Francisco Chronicle (!!) on me and the i live here:SF project. I know some of you goodhearted souls are as anxious as I am to know when the article is coming out, and I still don't know. It will be sometime after Sunday, that's all I know now.

So if you want to start buying newspapers, you can but I swear, the very minute I hear any news, you'll be the next to know. Promise.

11 comments:

Nancy Ewart September 19, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

Great photo - I wonder what their lives will be like as they grow up. I always make up stories about the people I see looking through their windows. I wonder will their lives open up or shut down? Will they be free or captive? I should have known you had seen the article on Robert Frank but in case you don't have a copy, I just sent you one via e-mail.

Adan September 20, 2009 at 5:05 AM  

fantastic!

SE'LAH... September 20, 2009 at 5:24 AM  

Hey lady!

That's a fantastic shot! So innocent.

xo

~DokterKenny September 20, 2009 at 6:49 AM  

I wonder why two of them have the traditional head scarf and one does not?

Char September 20, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

I loved this shot as soon as I saw it on flickr

Mari September 20, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

Ooh, I can't wait to read it! Great shot, btw!

LoisW September 20, 2009 at 2:56 PM  

Wonderful shot! And I just received my latest VF. Read the Jackie O article, now on to Frank.

Marilyn Miller September 20, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

You are a wonderful photographer. This picture is just perfect.

Anonymous September 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM  

That photograph is so beautiful and emotional. It speaks far louder than words. I love it.

Yoli September 20, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

Aaahh Julie, this is exquisite!

Humble Magnificent September 22, 2009 at 1:29 AM  

You're comment on getting "tired of seeing" really spoke to me. It is so true that photography makes one see the world slightly differently from most (I'm sure the same is true of other art forms like painting too). I hope I see the world from a photographer's persective for a long time to come too!
Your pictures are always so lovely and from the heart. Wish I didn't live in England so could come see your exhibition!
I would be truly flattered if you had a peek at my blog

http://humblemagnifcent.blogspot.com/

Keep up the amazing posts and I remain glued!
x