julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, August 7, 2009

A Day of Mentions

Woke up to a mention in 7x7 Magazine and ended it with a shout out in Muni Diaries. That's very very cool. I have to remind myself that I've only been taking photos for a little over a year when I get impatient, which seems more common lately. There's still so much more I want to learn and things I can't wait to see and encounter and capture.

This is my favorite for the day. I call it my Robert Frank Tribute photo. I took it on Turk Street, walking towards USF.

I've been to see the Robert Frank exhibit at SF MOMA four times now. I really will miss not being able to see it again after August 23.

It's inspiring. It makes me think about what I want to take pictures of and why.

And right now, I'm also grateful to a lot of local SF photogs who have reached out to befriend a newbie, give good, solid helpful advice and include me in their photography journey. People like Plug 1, Thomas Hawk, emamd, jbellvilleart, Brad' aka citysnaps and B.S. Wise. And my local girl crushes, the effervescent Chipmonkey and my new flame, Kelly Rae.

So give them a looksee, and say hi from tangobaby if you want.

***

ps.: for those of you who have been so wonderful, waiting for info about K and the kids and the move, I wish I had good news for you today. I thought they would be moving today but they are not. It's been a rollercoaster of events and they're so disappointed and so am I. It's been hugely stressful. There's a problem with PG&E. I don't know when it will be resolved and won't go into the details here, but keep your fingers crossed that I only have good news from now on.

10 comments:

Mari August 7, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

So sorry the move fell through, hope it's back on track soon!

Anonymous August 7, 2009 at 6:18 PM  

I am jealous! We're keeping K and the kids in our thoughts.

Adan August 7, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

let me know if there is anything that i can do from so far away.

Andi August 7, 2009 at 8:34 PM  

Congrats on the mentions, one leads to another to another. Sending good thoughts for K and the kids.

Char August 7, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

congrats on the mentions and the notice! :)

AphotoAday August 7, 2009 at 10:28 PM  

Hey, thanks for turning me on to Thomas Hawk -- he's really really good!

kristina - no penny for them August 8, 2009 at 12:17 AM  

can't blame you for making the most of that show - must be amazing. wouldn't mind it coming to berlin...

happyl weekend.

Marilyn Miller August 8, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

Your photos are amazing for only taking for a little over a year. I am impressed.

Thoughts are flowing in a positive way to K and her family. May her move happen soon and all the wrinkles fade away.

Just Jules August 9, 2009 at 4:54 PM  

Oh I do hope the next news on K is good news. She is a strong woman indeed.

Congrats on the shout outs.

robin-bird August 9, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

i have thought so much about that exhibit since seeing it and i have a client who says she cans lend me the book. i love your image! and more kudos to you for getting in the muni diaries :) i understand the impatient feeling with self and progress. i spend 10 minutes on flicker and i want to just quit!! so much talent it seems i will never learn as much as i want! and i don't always know what i want to take pictures of. i sometimes think i take pictures of some things because i know i can get it right and not other;'s because i lack faith in my ability to do it justice.

p.s. i will watch for better news soon about K. jeeze how frustrating and upsetting this must be.