julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, August 3, 2009

The path of violence

I don't see the heroic here, just the terror.

***

"...I think about every client who has come through our doors and their horrific stories of abuse - I cannot help but cry when I think about what the loss of our services will mean to victims. Those who walk through our doors have suffered through broken bones, beatings, strangulation, food deprivation, arson, torture, genital mutilation and unspeakable sexual violence. They have been thrown down flights of stairs, have been victim to violent physical attacks during pregnancy and have even faced the prospect of murder. Victims seek our services to escape incredible violence aimed at them and their children." ~ Executive Director Nicole Shellcroft, The Domestic Violence Center in Santa Clarita Valley

***

Our disaster of a governor has cut 100% of Domestic Violence funding to create his Frankenstein budget. Forget about the kids that won't have healthcare. Forget about AIDS.

I'm trying to remember what was so horribly, terribly wrong with Gray Davis, that a duly elected official was recalled from office.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is to California what George W. Bush was to the United States. Only the kicker is that California citizens now suffer because of both of them.

***

On the eve of K and the kids moving to their new home, I am heartsick to write this post. You know as well as I do that our fair city was unable to give this family shelter due to domestic violence and housing issues.

You know as well as I do that the only reason this family remained intact was because of the kindness of strangers.

But they are just one family. I am so fearful for the women and children who will die because of this budget cut. Domestic violence affects us all. It truly truly does.

UPDATE 11:07AM: If you are a CA resident, please please please sign this petition to restore funds for California's domestic violence program. If you're not a CA resident but have friends or family in the state, please send them this link. I don't have to tell you that lives are at stake here. Please do what you can to raise awareness of this and get these funds back to help fund the shelters that these women and children need desperately.



***

Photo I took yesterday of the statue of Jeanne d'Arc at the Legion of Honor. What I wouldn't give for a strong-willed woman with a sword to take some of our officials to task right now.

17 comments:

glnroz August 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

i would sign if I were eligble. Thanks for coming by my site. I so enjoy reading your posts. There is always more mountain than the shovel can move. Recognize that one shovel-full at a time will achieve the goal without injuring the shovel-her. My hat is off to ya.

Anonymous August 3, 2009 at 12:31 PM  

Unbelievable, that's all I can say.

Anonymous August 3, 2009 at 1:08 PM  

It is quite sad that your bastard of a governor can not see the long term effects of his cut, cut, cut attitude.

Kelly Kilmer August 3, 2009 at 1:28 PM  

Nothing was wrong with Davis. The only thing wrong was that some bastard with money was able to stage a phony recall, not win his own staged election and this stupid state voted for the Terminator. I DID NOT VOTE for the recall OR some a-hole movie star wanna be politician.
I am disgusted with how things are being run in CA. First it was Bush and then came Arnold. I don't know what will happen if they change the law so that Ah-nohld can run for President.

Kelly Kilmer August 3, 2009 at 1:35 PM  

p.s. i signed the petition. Thanks for voicing this.

Char August 3, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

I'm sorry

Sandra August 3, 2009 at 1:48 PM  

I can sympathize, we have our own version of George Bush in MN, Tim Pawlenty. He has sliced social services to the bone, all the while touting his Christianity. MN is in the worse fiscal shape we have every experienced under Pawlenty. I'm sure most of you have heard of the slimy weasel, he has presidential aspirations. I'm sorry for CA, I'm sorry for MN. I'm sorry for all of us.

Marilyn Miller August 3, 2009 at 7:43 PM  

I will pass this on to my California friends.

robin-bird August 3, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

thinking of you , of K & the kids and of all those unnamed women who strive for safety and freedom from fear and domination. love to you dear girl.
xo

Michael Reardon August 4, 2009 at 3:06 AM  

Just a second, I'm gonna sign the petition before I comment...

Okay, now that's out of the way.

I imagine Grey Davis was recalled because, frankly, people are dumb.

They get worried about big issues and ambitious politicians drive them to do stupid things.

The only reason the governator hasn't been recalled is because it's rather hard to get a million people to do a stupid thing twice.

You write very beautifully.

Adan August 4, 2009 at 6:14 AM  

now, i just watched a documentary of Enron, and Gov. Gray Davis' demise was a result of not being able to control the energy pricing that Enron was floating to make more money.

He had ZERO control over what happened, just like he had zero control to tell the voters that he should not be recalled. The Govern-ator needs to get a swift kick up the ass and get in gear!

California is full of backwards logic, and needs an overhaul.

Laura Doyle August 4, 2009 at 8:11 AM  

I sigh as I finish reading but the sigh is inadequate, of course. I'm not a CA resident, can't sign any petitions.

Brendan has been saying CA law is absurd ever since I met him. I'm beginning to see that he's right.

In the end, it will be common kindness and simple love of our fellow man that will save the weak, the oppressed, and the abused. Not laws. Not bureaucracy. Action without feeling is empty. We just need more people to care...to love. With enough, we can rise above the stupidity of artificial order and make our own way, and our own bright future.

Relyn Lawson August 4, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

But, K and kids are moving in to their own place? Am thankful for that even as I am aware that there is so much more to be done.

Rhizome August 5, 2009 at 1:23 AM  

Thank you for the heads up-- I floated in by chance, was horrified by this post, and have passed on the link. What a way to kick people when they're down. For what it's worth, and to get the word out, the Santa Clarita center (facing closure) is taking donations. Whether or not any of that funding comes back, I'm sure they can put any extra support to use.

Paritosh August 5, 2009 at 5:03 AM  

Hey...

This is Paritosh..I have started blogging a few days back. I just stumbled upon your blog. Just wanted to say you have got some very good snaps here.

Keep up the good work.

Paritosh

Gabby August 5, 2009 at 10:03 AM  

I worked in Davis' office. His staff accepted campaign donations by software makers and then he bought tons of the crap when it wasn't needed. And he needed a personality implant in a huge way. But his misguided actions pale when compared with the special interest swilling Arnold imbibes despite his smoke and mirror cry to the electorate to eliminate special interests. Middle class and poor people suffer while big pharma and anti-union puppeteers call all the shots in Sacramento. Californians willingly acted on the recall just as they hopped in line with the lies of Bushism in hopes the image would magically solve all their problems. It's the logical end result of Jarvis's bullshit in the Reagan era that eliminated support by the well to do for the less fortunate, unraveling decades of compassionate leadership and governance. Our schools are crap, we have shitty healthcare, and the rich keep getting richer. You can play this song over and over because it's the way we've been since slave labor built California's railways and highways and the auto companies bought out mass transit and decimated our air quality. Sigh.

Anonymous August 5, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

"Herr Gropenfuhrer" was installed in a sham election funded by multi-billionaires to effectively kill the lawsuits Davis' AG was launching against big oil and energy trading companies for market rigging and price gouging. Yes, this was his very first order of business, and now its time to terminate the teachers and social services. No! Now it is time to send this shoddy puppet of a man back to Hollyweird.