julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, August 17, 2009

May I admire you?

Fondling cucumbers in Chinatown.

***

When did I discover Beth Spotswood and develop my true-blue girl crush? Perhaps it was when I read this quote in the sidebar of her blog:

"I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this." ~ Thomas J. Grasso's last words, d. March 20, 1995 ... Executed by injection, Oklahoma.

I still laugh when I read that.

I think what I admire about Beth is that she'll write stuff that I would only admit in my dreams. I love that she's fearless that way. I also know that I can only read her blog if I'm not drinking hot liquids or in a place where I'm not supposed to burst out laughing.

***

When Beth contacted me to be a part of i live here: SF, of course I was flattered but was also a little intimidated. Not because I didn't think she'd be great to hang out with (she was) but on the whole, I'm pretty shy... it's quite a different situation to you meet someone you've only admired from afar.

We had a ball in Chinatown taking photos. This was one instance when all of my hours and photography love of Chinatown really paid off. All of my explorations, favorite little alleys and murals: we used them all for her photo shoot. I made Beth sit on park benches in Portsmouth Square, nested amidst elderly Chinese men and women who alternately smiled, ignored and scowled at us. We got yelled at in a market for taking photos. Beth bought us both barbequed pork buns.

When I asked Beth "Why Chinatown?," she confessed her long-time Pretty in Pink infatuation. That just happens to be the only John Hughes' movie I've never seen so I still don't get the connection with Chinatown, but I'm happy to say that this shoot was just as stupendously fun and cool as Beth is. I hope it lived up to her Pretty in Pink daydreams. I think it did.

I hope you enjoy it too. And I haven't even told you about the story she wrote. But I'll let you read that for yourself.

8 comments:

Unknown August 17, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

That is a fantastic shot.

May I admire you?

xo
KK

sonorossa August 17, 2009 at 1:19 PM  

Fantastic photo shoot! Plus, Beth is entertaining as hell.

You know what? I have a girl crush on i live here!

So, when is your show at the place on Polk? Details, please.

Marilyn Miller August 17, 2009 at 4:09 PM  

As usual I adore your photo shoots. They are so creative and fun. Everyone looks like they are thoroughly enjoying themselves. What a fun location, Chinatown.

Yoli August 17, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

Just direct me to where you have all of your Chinatown pictures! Loving this shoot and the subject.

Char August 17, 2009 at 6:33 PM  

I adore that movie....I really do.

great shots - sounds like a great time

AphotoAday August 17, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

Super -- I checked everything out and had a great time...

But I'm sitting here scratching my head about your "but on the whole, I'm pretty shy" comment...   Being shy is one thing I know a whole lot about -- no fooling -- and NO WAY could you be shy and have so much interaction with all these interesting people you write about...   I'd give ANYTHING to have the ability to do what you do...

robin bird August 23, 2009 at 12:54 PM  

it is an irony how shy you actually are considering the lengths you go to in order to connect with the world and experience so much. i know it's true and so it says quite a lot about your love of life that you just go on out there anyway and meet these amazing people. i loved beth's story and her write up about you!

Relyn Lawson August 24, 2009 at 5:53 AM  

Guess what I watched last night while I worked in my classroom? Yup, Pretty In Pink. I can't wait to meet Beth now. I'm off....