julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Advisor

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~ Cicero

***

So this morning I gave an interview to a writer for the SJSU alumni magazine, Washington Square. She had found me via the San Francisco Chronicle article that came out on October 1 about i live here:SF. I'm going to be part of a laid-off alumni finds new direction in life kind of article. It's flattering just to be found and contacted, let alone think that someone would actually be interested in 1. my story, or 2. my pearls of wisdom. But it still feels quite odd, mostly.

I think part of my dilemma is that I don't really feel qualified to give much of a chat about anything...yet. I'm not an expert on photography or even portraiture, nor an active alumnus, or even someone who really feels down-and-out even though technically I am unemployed. When we talked about my major and my school days, it seemed like an achievement made by someone else. I vaguely remember going to school at this point. Lord knows where my diploma is. (Last time I found it, it was with a bunch of old CDs under my bed. I did not mention that to the writer.)

I thought back to my previous post about Julie & Julia. One of the commenters there pointed out that Julia has probably misrepresented her connections and qualifications in the publishing world, as she started her blog on Salon.com and that's not really where the newbies go to get their first blog. And here I am, thinking I'm totally the opposite. It makes me wonder really what it is that people see in what I'm doing. To me, the purpose of blogging personally hasn't really changed, and although i live here:SF is a blog written by other people, I still see it as a local thing and mine. Even though other locals (and some not so) seem to love it, too, and I'm really grateful for that.

I get the you should do a book/video/other creative thing advice a lot from people lately. I guess I will. I mean, I know I will. Someday. But why push it? When the writer asked me for what advice I had for other laid-off people who are struggling at this time, all I could say is that they needed to have hope, to hang in there. That something good would come of all of this eventually but to try to force things to happen just makes life harder. That's probably the most experiential advice I could give. And to have fun, if you can.

***

I'm basically getting by. Scraping by is probably a better way to put it. I've had some inquiries about other gigs, and have sent out some estimates, and am waiting. If these jobs come to pass, then that will be awesome. I'm finally looking at how to market myself, and use my recent experiences to carry over into something bigger and-- well-- paying. Now I feel like I'm the newbie.

I've been taking pictures, pictures, pictures. But after that, where to go next? How do I take the next quantum leap?

I should probably take my own advice.

8 comments:

An Open Heart December 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

I'm rooting for you!


S

RNSANE December 15, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

I am sure, with your enthusiasm and ingenuity, nothing will hold you back. I just hope, as a nurse of 40 years, who lost her job in the city's massive budget cuts, at 65, I can do something entrepreneural. Having a mobility handicap is a real hindrance, though. I enjoy my blogging but it doesn't help financially!

AphotoAday December 16, 2009 at 6:37 AM  

Oh cool, this must be the "exciting things that were going to be happening" that you mentioned a few weeks ago... I am really happy for you -- I share your joy -- almost brought a tear to my eye... O.k., it DID bring a tear to my eye...

But here's what's going on for you, Julie -- success is finding you, you don't have to push it and shouldn't... You are going to be a rock-and-roll star in the field of meaningful photography -- not just pretty pictures (((like the ones I try to take))) but deeply meaningful photos, accompanies by deeply meaningful stories...

All your book and video and everybodys suggestions will happen in time -- hold out for a big advance on your book with a major publisher if you can... But what you've done here is invent a really creative and original gig... I think it's very unique, and I am very proud to know such a creative person...

Muznah December 16, 2009 at 7:17 AM  

you know some people who make up great meaningful advices never get to really fulfill them themselves. So your feeling this way and saying "hang in there" just makes it all the more human.

Best of luck with everything :)

p.s. I would totally buy your book, whenever it gets published

Anonymous December 16, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

Yup, I get stuck at the same point TB. How to earn kaching from my passion. But like your commenter observed, this time around, success is coming at you. Steel yourself :-)

beth December 16, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

when you figure out where to go next...let me know!
I'm looking myself and I'm very unsure what I'm supposed to be doing or where I should even be doing it at....

life does that to us sometimes...no answers.....only questions...and I'm tired of looking

hugs

Siobhan December 17, 2009 at 2:54 AM  

Hmm this advice people have been giving you reminds me of something in our community. Recently, people from the whole community (whole being about 4000 or so people in the little town of Lyttelton)sent in recipes and a beautiful recipe book called Harbour Kitchens has been produced to sell to raise money for the schools, and $40,000 has been raised within the first couple of months. If I live here:SF was turned into a book, perhaps the proceeds could go to a charity?

Anonymous December 26, 2009 at 8:14 PM  

Yep, I totally buy a book with these images. Actually, I'd like one of the city I live in too, Tucson. Want to come to Tucson and do a similar gig?