julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Sunday, December 27, 2009

And now back to being completely shallow...

Thank you all of you who commented on my last post. This whole issue with K and the kids became a litmus test of sorts for me, and not intentionally. It surprised me to see who came out of the woodwork and expressed some amount of care and support for me and the situation. It was certainly disappointing to see those people who I thought would do more to help end up doing nothing at all. This definitely colored my view of certain people and who I thought they were, and made it hard for me to keep in contact with some of them because of it.

I couldn't get past my disappointment. But then when I thought about it, I didn't want to. It surprises me how many people talk a good line... but that's it. It's so easy to rant about what everyone else is up in arms about and then live a life completely isolated from what one is so riled up about. I think this happens a lot in the blog world because the platform is so easily accessible. So passionate about political, social and religious issues but then how far do you take it? Do you walk your talk or just like to spread the flames about? I've decided personally that I'm not going to be one of those people if I can avoid it. I'll write about something if it affects me and my life personally so that my experience is what informs my opinion, for right or wrong, because it's what I directly know. There's too many directions one can be pulled in already, and too many distractions.

You can't save the world by writing about it and then hoping other people will do it for you.

But enough of that.

***

Well, after all of that, I thought I might have something else to add, but apparently I'm all out of ideas!

Guess I'll have some breakfast instead. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

5 comments:

Louis Duke Photography December 27, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

So, so true. You are such an amazing writer. I love it. I hope you have a restful weekend. Thank you for your sweet email. You are in my thoughts a lot. I really, really hope your photography is a success!! Best wishes!

ModernTanguera December 27, 2009 at 4:45 PM  

I hear you, but I think you should be easier on people who did not chip in. Some people are already putting resources (time or money or whatnot) into humanitarian causes and don't have more to chip in when individual cases come up. I'm not sure that it's a reason to not keep in contact with people, unless they somehow conveyed that they didn't care or just didn't want to help.

I'm sorry for what happened with K, though. It is tough to help someone and then have them disappear, especially when you care so much about them. Hopefully the memories will continue to put a smile on your face. (And maybe think of it this way: You were a big part of that transitional period for K. Maybe she and the kids are doing so well that she can't put herself back in the headspace that she was in when she needed your help. Maybe she thinks fondly of you, but getting in touch is just too hard right now. It doesn't negate the great things you did, though!)

tangobaby December 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM  

Actually, Modern Tanguera, this has nothing to do with money. But since you mentioned it, I do think that a true friend is someone who finds a way to support another, actually regardless of money. So I have to disagree on that point... but since you wouldn't know who I'm referring to, my vagueness probably doesn't make much sense.

I do think fondly of them, I do. I miss the little girl especially. She is a gem: bright, polite, sweet as pie.

And thank you Louis. You both are very kind.

msHedgehog December 28, 2009 at 3:34 AM  

You can influence people's opinions, though, with just (or perhaps not just, but mainly) the blogging. That's no good for quick results, of course, but it's a necessary role in long-term change.

melissashook December 28, 2009 at 4:38 AM  

You may well see them again.
And I'm sure that your caring meant a lot......try to take heart in that...
and feel your feelings...