julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, March 21, 2009

An Intimate Eye

"I will not be just a tourist in the world of images, just watching images passing by which I cannot live in, make love to, possess as permanent sources of joy and ecstasy." ~ Anaïs Nin

From yesterday.

I am wandering around in yesterday's images. I've had one of those yucky migraines from when I woke up this morning, so this day has been a total shambles: just cat naps, drawn shades and Excedrin.

But in the in-between moments, when I can stand a little light, I come back to my computer, to the images of yesterday (was it only yesterday?) and they make me feel better.

***

I am realizing more about my project. There is a subtle intimacy with the subject, a knowingness that comes after a few minutes, or many, when there is a letting go, that the subject surrenders to me, to my wishes, without shyness, without embarrassment.

I had not expected this. I only expected to take their photographs.

It is all ended when we shake hands and I put the lens cap on my camera again, saying goodbye and thanks. But the residue is there, when I revisit the images. Why do they let me do this?

That is the next question to be answered.

18 comments:

julochka March 22, 2009 at 4:10 AM  

the three images above are fantastic. each more fantastic than the next. i can't wait to see the story behind them.

and i think they let you do it because people actually want their stories to be told...

Unknown March 22, 2009 at 5:09 AM  

I'm not a professional anything but I felt the need to say my piece about why... and I feel it's because you have a mission, an honorable one, and this is evident when you work. People want to be a part of your mission.

Brook March 22, 2009 at 5:54 AM  

I believe we are all striving for that moment of connection, the peace and trust in it that can last for a few minutes or for a lifetime. And no matter how fleeting, our need to for this experience drives us til we die.

Bee March 22, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

These are absolutely brilliant pictures, J. I wish that I could put into words just why -- something about the mix of patterns, and yet the strong lines. They are very graphic, and yet also so sexy and warm.

I'm not surprised this session left a strong residue.

P.S. Hope your migraine is gone today and you awake with the clearest of heads.

Sallycat March 22, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

TB. That photo of the guy at his desk is stunning. I left a comment on it on Flickr.
God I am so impressed. Love ya. SC

paris parfait March 22, 2009 at 10:04 AM  

Very cool images, especially of the guy at his desk. Hope your headache clears soon! xoxox

Cynthia Pittmann March 22, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

Beautiful photos and sensitive insight...tangobaby...love the scraped places on the paint brushes...lovely mood. <3

Molly March 22, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

If the subject is as yummy as this one looks then any of kind of intimacy would be welcome no? ;)

Seriously tho', gorgeous pics!

Maggie May March 22, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

i just love the wash of dark colors here...the paintbrushes are so very rich

Char March 22, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

this may be my favorite in the series so far....so intimate and rich. you truly bring such beauty to this series.

christina March 22, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

Feel bedda soon love! These shots are amazing! I am not surprised!
xo

Yoli March 22, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

There is great intimacy and sensuality to these images. Well done gypsy lady.

La Tanguerita March 23, 2009 at 4:07 AM  

Very beautiful pictures.
“Subtle intimacy with the subject, a knowingness that comes after a few minutes“… TB, do you even realize that you are talking about tango?
You can take the girl out of tango but not tango out of the girl:-)And that‘s exactly why they let you do this.

Anonymous March 23, 2009 at 5:27 AM  

feel better. i have a throat that is attacking me so i am doing the same. bed and napping.

Relyn Lawson March 23, 2009 at 2:20 PM  

I think I know. Because you have a gift. Because you know how to be a friend. Because you inspire trust. Because you are open and loving with your own heart, but know how to hold another's dreams gently.

Kennethwongsf March 23, 2009 at 10:50 PM  

As one of your subjects, perhaps I can supply you with an answer: I did it because, after seeing your previous works, I know you have the talent to do what I cannot manage on my own--to bring out my inner truth.

SE'LAH... March 24, 2009 at 7:02 AM  

Very nice series...I especially enjoyed the last one ;-) That's for brightening my day.

robin laws March 26, 2009 at 6:06 PM  

oh my gosh that first photos is so interesting. and that one showing him working with his hands but we never see his face. you are becoming an artist of artists. this inspired project is blessed with good light and a masterful camera fairy!
p.s. my 300 preset is sitting on my desktop awaiting it's induction into my lightroom :)