julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Whilst Trespassing


It's not every day that, while you are trespassing on private property taking photos for i live here: SF, you are discovered (i.e., caught) by the food editor for Esquire magazine, who just so happens to be visiting San Francisco for a few days to research some places for her next article, and then you happen to mention (i.e., blurt out) your favorite sausage place in the Lower Haight and highly highly recommend the bratwurst and the German potato salad, and then she gives you her email address so you can send her some information about it. And then when you get home and tell your Boy about who you just happened to bump into while you were trespassing on someone's private property, he gets a little miffed because if this certain sausage place gets famous due to some slight indiscretion on a person's (i.e., my) part and this certain sausage place is "discovered" by denizens of Esquire magazine readers, then when we want to go there, it will be terribly crowded and overrun by strangers, and the sausage place will have run out of German potato salad, and that unfortunate situation will all be my fault.

However, it is for precisely reasons like this that (a) I love San Francisco-- because it's the kind of place where you never ever know when something wonderful will happen but it will sooner than later, (b) there is a sausage place so yummy that I can recommend it to the food editor of Esquire magazine just in case I happen to bump into her, and (c) why I hate Mondays.

My life begins on Free Friday.

***

SAN FRANCISCO STREET CRED QUIZ

Without using The Google or wikipedia, who can tell me which famous San Francisco series of stories was inspired by the locale pictured above?

16 comments:

Silliyak March 15, 2009 at 11:53 AM  

Sam Spade?

iasa March 15, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

Tales of the City?

tangobaby March 15, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

Iasa, I'm sure Armistead Maupin himself would love to award you the SF Street Cred... but since I'm sure he doesn't read my blog, I'll bestow the honors.

You got it, sweetie. Not that I'm surprised.

;-)

Nancy Ewart March 15, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

HI! I see that I'm 10 minutes late - Tales of the City which was not only a delightful book but an equally lovely TV series. I wonder if it could be made today or if it was made today, it would be cheapened up and tricked out.

paris parfait March 15, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

Tales of the City - but I see someone else got here first. I love that you had an unexpected encounter with an Esquire editor. Did you mention that you take photos of the little slices of life in the city? Sigh. I am so homesick for San Fran. I'm really annoyed that I've had to postpone my May trip. xoxox

Mari March 15, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

I love those books. I was a little disappointed with how Marianne turned out, in the end, so I ignore that very last book!

ArtSparker March 15, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

Congratulations on the encounter in off-limits territory. An inspiration to your readers to take one step beyond.

Boutique By Bonnie March 15, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

I'm afraid I don't know the answer, but I loved your little story!

Dutchbaby March 15, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

Oh how we all loved reading the episodes in the Chronicle every day while I was in college.

Not that you need it, but if you ever need ideas on how to trespass, just ask my mother. She used to use her dog as a decoy.

Cynthia Pittmann March 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

Sorry my brain is on a cold medicine pause...I'll get back to you...Ms. busy tangobaby! <3

Char March 15, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

I would not have known that but what a fun adventure

Greg March 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM  

my understanding is that Armistead lives not too far from us, in the hills above Parnassus Avenue over by UC, but I may be mistaken...

J9 March 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM  

Iasa beat me to the punch!

Eva March 15, 2009 at 6:03 PM  

That is so cool! What a fun adventure! You'll have to tell us if Esquire publishes the restaurant review!

Anonymous March 16, 2009 at 2:27 AM  

You know, I'm really loving your tales about SF. It's one of the very few cities in the U.S that I would want to visit. And it's great that you charmed yourself out of trepassing like that *lol*

Rachel March 17, 2009 at 4:17 PM  

Late to the party, but it's Tales of the City, of course!
PS - Love the Anarchist Book Fair post!