julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Just Hanging Out

It's a lovely Saturday afternoon, the sky is robin's egg blue, people are out shopping in Union Square, cable cars are running up and down Powell Street, and where am I?

At work! Waiting for my boss to show up. I'm supposed to help him do a very important spreadsheet for our biggest client and he doesn't know how to use Excel. And he's late! Ugh.

***

Our "30 minutes, just a quick spreadsheet" turned into 4.5 hours. My Saturday afternoon is gone for good.

But the reward for my sacrifice is that I now have 4 hours of comp time next week, which will be put to good use for a last private lesson with Ney before he leaves for Italy!

4 comments:

NYC Tango Pilgrim November 17, 2007 at 11:20 PM  

TB,

I think Ney is doing a tango tour to BA between 18-25 of Nov.

tangobaby November 18, 2007 at 2:13 AM  

That would be awesome but I'll have to wait until next time...no more vacay hours at work this year. *sigh*

:-(

AlexTangoFuego November 19, 2007 at 7:25 PM  

Why only four hours of comp time? Shouldn't weekends be worth double time? Especially when it was originally supposed to be only half an hour. Especially since your boss was so dependent on your Excel(lent) skills to cover for his own ineptitude.

I think you need to (in corporatespeak) "revisit" and renegotiate to at least eight hours.

tangobaby November 19, 2007 at 11:43 PM  

Alex! YOU are right!

I think I will be "revisiting" my comp time and perhaps my boss and I will need to "pencil" in a meeting to discuss.

Thank you for being my stand-up-for-yourself-in-the-workplace guru. My boss is very charming and I always want to help him, but that doesn't mean he gets away with murder, right?

xo