julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tango Mom

Last night was the group class again with Ney. Larger crowd, some different faces. Jennifer Bratt was there and it's so great to see the two of them teach and dance together. I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to learn from Ney and Jennifer.

After class, Ney encouraged all of us to go with him to El V for the milonga. As you might remember, it's not the place I feel the most comfortable. But Ms. Wellspring and I had mulled over the possibility earlier in the day, and she was really excited to go. This was going to be her first milonga. Talk about jumping into the deep end of the pool...El V is where the big kids play.

There was a nice crowd there and Ms. Wellspring had barely put her new shoes on when she was whisked off onto the dance floor. It was so fun to watch her dance. First milonga, first shoes.

I was sitting with a friend who I haven't seen for a while, and we were catching up on what he's been learning in tango and what I did on my trip to Venice. It was great to see him and chat. I've missed talking to him.

From the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of Ms. Wellspring dancing and looking fabulous and really, really happy. Look at my friend, look at her! I told the guy I was sitting with. She's just started tango...like a month ago!

He didn't believe me. She looked so great. I was so proud of her.

I felt like...her mom. Her Tango mom.

As for me, I had some nice tandas and some nicer conversations. Perhaps I was wrong about El V? We'll see. I should know by now that everything in life has its good and bad days, including milongas and people.

But I'd go again just to see my Tango daughter dance.

13 comments:

studio wellspring November 14, 2007 at 12:18 PM  

thank you so much, this actually made me weepy to read. you're more like a tango guru ~ i admire your confidence, grace & style immensely.
i dreamt all night about tango dancing. it was such a great way to remember the tango in me. because that's what it felt like: remembering {rather than brand new learning}. as soon as my feet have recovered i will be ready for more. my gratitude cup runneth over for you tangobaby.

tangobaby November 14, 2007 at 1:05 PM  

I don't know about tango guru. Like the rest of us who've been captured in Tango's lovely web, I have life experiences and passions and observations that I'm happy to share with you. But this is more about your journey, making your own discoveries and having friends to join in with you along the way.

So I'd rather be your Tango Pal. Or your Tango Big Sister or Tango Mom. Save the guru title for those who deserve it!

My reward will be seeing you dancing and happy. And that's already started!

msHedgehog November 14, 2007 at 2:04 PM  

That's sweet.

I recently took a friend (who teaches salsa) to my usual tango venue to take the absolute beginners' class they give on Saturday evenings, and she loved it and stayed for the milonga and had a lovely time. She said she totally understood how addictive it was, and I was so proud.

tangobaby November 14, 2007 at 2:30 PM  

Hi Ms. Hedgehog,

Another tango child in the making! I bet she'll keep coming to milongas with you...salsa may start to fade away.

I'm glad you wrote!

NYC Tango Pilgrim November 14, 2007 at 2:32 PM  

TB,

You can also be called TA (Tango Angel).


TP

maggafers November 14, 2007 at 2:45 PM  

thank you, tangobaby. i love seeing our ms. wellspring so happy!

tangobaby November 14, 2007 at 2:56 PM  

Hi TP,

Okay, if you say so! I just figured that TAs were the ones that swept you off your feet while on the dance floor. But I guess you are right...there can be all kinds of tango angels.

xo

tangobaby November 14, 2007 at 2:59 PM  

Hello maggafers,

I think perhaps Ms. Wellspring has found the dance she's been looking for all of her life. If you see her dance, you'll know what I mean. It's also very sweet to be along for the ride and witnessing someone else's pure happiness.

But she's the one who is making herself happy. I'm just along for the ride, and as a shoe advisor.

Thank you for reading.

;-)

La Nuit Blanche November 14, 2007 at 3:28 PM  

tangobaby, you are a tango angel. i witnessed it in venice. and i wish you were here so i could be your's!

*kisses*

tangobaby November 14, 2007 at 6:39 PM  

Nuit,

You are my tango angel wherever you are in the world. Or in the whole universe.

xo

NYC Tango Pilgrim November 15, 2007 at 12:25 AM  

TB,

The ones that swept you off your feet while on the dance floor could be devils off the floor. Watch out!

TP

Anonymous November 15, 2007 at 4:56 AM  

Always wonderful to see the tango baby at El V. Great dress, by the way. FYI, you look very good dancing 'where the big kids play'. :)

tangobaby November 16, 2007 at 11:22 AM  

Thank you ranman!

See you next week? I will if you will.

;-)