julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, February 28, 2009

If these people were my real parents

Clara Bow's hair + Albert Brooks' hair = my hair

***

Today, I have reentered the Land of Curly Hair.

I feel a little bit more like Shirley...

... but I'm working my way towards sexy Biba-dom.

I have to take the curly fabulousness in stages. The Boy is so confused. Right now I told him I'm entering my Gypsy/bohemian stage. He didn't know about that either. He keeps telling me that he's had the same hairstyle his whole life, ever since he started growing hair. He doesn't know anything about girls and their stages, even now.

I left the house early this morning with straight hair and came home looking like a moppet. He keeps asking me what I did to my hair, but I can't give away all of my beauty secrets. I told him I had a lot of curly fries for lunch and that's what did it, but he's not buying it.

***

And then I was compelled to dress up like this.

Tell me you do this sort of thing too when you get a new 'do. I just happened to have those rainbow glasses lying about from a walk down Haight Street.

Peace out, babies, peace out.
And pass the curly fries!

xoxo

***

Because I can't take all the credit: Clara Bow photo, Biba photo and Shirley Temple photo. I can't remember where I got the Albert Brooks photo from. I love him, though.

And because I really can't take all the credit, my beauty secret for today is

Angie and Martha's Hair Salon
524 Geary Street
(between Shannon St & Taylor St)
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 359-9375

Thank you, dutchbaby, you were right about these ladies. They are awesome!
Thank you Angie and Martha!

(insert more kisses here.)

25 comments:

Yoli February 28, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

You look ADORABLE!!! I too have curly hair that I straighten every morning. But from time to time, I set that wild hair free. Feels good.

iasa February 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM  

I like the new do. I'm going to have to do something with mine soon. It's getting to where I can sit on it.

will February 28, 2009 at 7:00 PM  

Damn, rainbow glass from Haight. No fair.

Cool curls, you be stunning.

shabby girl February 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM  

You look fabulous! So fun. I remember when I got a perm Hubby said, "I can't wait to see what you do with it!"
Whul. Huh? No. I thought I already did it!
Hahahahahaha!

rosedale's 4head February 28, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

...adorable 'do...curly really is more fun, but when it's...coiled---tightly so---it can be a love-hate struggle...ok, so, but why am i stuck on those gorgeous lips that you obviously so proudly show off ;)

...you look fab...

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats February 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM  

Have fun with it! and sympathy to those guys that have the same hairstyle year after year! I just got a photo from my 18 year old niece and that is the look I have been trying to get my stylist to do with my "bangs"...I am taking that pix with me next week...wish me luck!

Just Jules February 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

Ah yes, add curls to a natural underlying wave and I just end up with frizz not my best look. Glad it looks WAY cuter on you ;)

Char February 28, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

you look fabulous darlin' - just fabu. me on the other hand? my new do looks like every other over 30 woman in Montgomery. *YAWN*

I have to figure out how to fix this mess.

Adan February 28, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

h....................
o....................
t....................

*insert the Chi Chi's commercial here*

Marianne February 28, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

I looooove the curls. I like to imagine mine would look that good if I could ever be bothered putting some styling product in them, but I would never have your lips to top off the perfect curl and pout combo!

julochka March 1, 2009 at 12:53 AM  

i'm all for phases...i'm diggin' on the curls with the haight sunglasses. but i'm still, on principle, against perms. :-)

but now you make me want to do something drastic with MY hair. i need a new phase...like now!

Unknown March 1, 2009 at 1:55 AM  

Love the new curly tresses!

How can the boy not know about hair stages? Hasn't he ever been a teenage girl? Geez :)

Christie @ www.figandcherry.com

ps. It's been so long! xx

Cynthia Pittmann March 1, 2009 at 3:47 AM  

Oh yes, tangobaby ... now you really have the 'do of a lifetime...or at least the season. Cute curled t-babe is a puzzle to the boy...but that's what makes you so interesting, magnetic and magical! Oh and your abundant curls match your abundant generousity...you give so much credit to others- what a considerate blogger's heart you have. <3

Mari March 1, 2009 at 7:37 AM  

Hell yeah, we all do that sort of thing... most of us just don't do it as well as you! You look fabulous, by the way...now I am going to go get some curly fries.

~DokterKenny March 1, 2009 at 7:39 AM  

I like it...I is almost 1920'ish considering the economy it may may be more appropos than you think!

If the boy is still confused just tell him you are really trying to make the curtains match the carpet.That should send him into a tailspin! :-D

paris parfait March 1, 2009 at 8:20 AM  

You look mahvelous, dahling! xoxox

paris parfait March 1, 2009 at 8:20 AM  

You look mahvelous, dahling! xoxox

Gabby March 1, 2009 at 11:00 AM  

Now you look like my peeps! Had a pair of those glasses in 1969, along with bellbottom jeans, my own then-curly, then-hair, and a watchband four inches thick, and a cast-iron pinkie ring that had the word PEACE on it.

If I could have hair atop my pate today, I'd choose a mohawk, which is the obverse of what I'd grow naturally.

Guess you'll have to change your masthead now, huh?

Cindy March 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

Your hair, and you, are adorable!

An Unlikely Retirement March 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM  

And all this time I thought it was bread crusts that made my hair curly.

Great locks!

Dutchbaby March 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

I am so happy you had a positive experience. It's always nerve wracking when you recommend a hairdresser; everyone is so different. You look totally adorable. Your Shirley Temple impression is perfect.

Nancy Ewart March 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

You are always adorable and unique! Loved those photos of you, especially the one where you channel the 60's in a totally current way.

A Cuban In London March 3, 2009 at 1:45 AM  

Having a son with natural curly hair and a daughter who's not too far behind, this post made chuckle. Many thanks for such a zany and witty article. Yes, curly rules.

Greetings from London.

The Clever Pup March 3, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

Tangobaby,

I have bone straight hair and every now and then, every 10 years or so I get a perm and rock the casbah.

It's so different from how I normally look. This time the comments are just flowing but the magic curls, are alas, growing out.

Geert Groote and his urbane double egg. March 4, 2009 at 4:41 AM  

Your hair is awesome! I´ve had straight hair all my life, and last summer I too entered my curly stage and got a perm too, but I didn´t cut my hair, so it´s a little longer. :D