julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The i live here: SF project...


Sometimes you have just part of an idea rattling around in your head, and then all of a sudden --whoosh! --the pieces fit together. Many thanks to ~K, namastenancy and Soad for saying the right things at the right time that tied it all together. And as always, a thank you to Brittney at Eye on Blogs, who is always so supportive in her shout outs and recognition of what I post here.

***

I can't say that I walk around like this all the time, but it happens enough of the time to know that it's not a fleeting thing. Plain and simple, I just love living in San Francisco, for all the reasons I write about in this blog, and for a thousand other reasons that I might not fully be aware of, or for reasons that just don't get written down at all.

And I keep meeting interesting, talented and fascinating souls that inspire and charm and intrigue me. Their faces and their stories make me want to meet more of them, even if our encounter is for the briefest moment, in the time it takes for me to snap their photo. Regardless of our economic concerns now, our fears and worries, I think we all appreciate a genuine human story and image.


So I'm embarking on a "real" project, the working title of said project is:


This blog is a platform for whatever this larger thing turns out to be, but for right now it's photographing the people of San Francisco. The images shared here are willing collaborations between myself and those pictured because I feel that the photos I take in partnership with someone else are the ones I like the most and to which I am the most connected. The people being photographed can share their story with me, maybe something about why they live in San Francisco and what they think about it, or remain anonymous.


It is my goal to share some of the spirit and fascinating layers of this city through the eyes and visages of those who live here.

***

Because this is a participatory endeavour, you can be a part of it, if you want to. In a nutshell, if you'd like to have your photo taken for this project, or know other people who might, or can help in any way by forwarding this post, mentioning it to a friend or posting it somewhere, please do. I'd really appreciate it.

If you live in SF and want to have your photo taken, contact me (email's in the sidebar) and we can talk about it.

Or, if you don't live here, but know someone who does, someone who you think might want to share in this project, then by all means, put them in touch with me. You know where I am.

Thank you all, and be sure to check in at my other site. As things progress, I hope to have lots more to share with you there. I don't know what the final result of all of this will be but sometimes the surprise at the end is the best part.

20 comments:

Adan February 19, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

if i was independently wealthy, i would fly you here to take photos of me and the new baby, once he/she gets here.

i look forward to the new project and i am tuned in.

Char February 19, 2009 at 3:10 PM  

I told my friend Stacey D to get together with you. My two favorite SF girls. Sounds like a fantastic project.

Petunia Face February 19, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

I may not qualify for your project: I was born in SF, raised in Marin, moved back to the city, lived there for 6 years and just moved back to Mill Valley to raise my baby. But I'd love to be part of the project if you'll have me. :)

Eva February 19, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

What a cool project! These shots are all great. Can't wait to check out the new digs!

Gabby February 19, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

Mazel tov! Break a lens!

tim February 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM  

Tangobaby,

I haven't written in quite some time because many of your readers were enjoying an Obama Love-fest and I didn't want to rain on their parade. I'll just make a small mention about that and then get to the real reason for writing. First of all I hope none of your readers ever have to engage in a real war...I have and therefore have earned the right to say whatever I believe, just as I have earned that same right for those of you who hate the military regardless of what you actually say. I came back through San Francisco during the 70s so I know how many of you really feel. But I don't care, you have the right to say and believe what you want. I just want to have the same right. Many of you said F...! Bush and that's OK. That's one of the things I fought for...but if I say F...!Obama I am automatically labeled a racist...for acting the exact same way as you. I was taught a long time ago to respect the uniform not the person wearing it. And that's what's wrong with this country...no respect for anything. Fine with me...we'll see who's right about Obama soon enough. I hope he can find enough crooks to fill all the cabinet positions.

There were many Hollywood liberals that said they'd leave America if Bush won the previous election...well they didn't,Alec, and Sarandon, but I am...Australia here I come. I wish you all well and I hope someday you'll stop hating yourself so much.

Now the real reason for writng. I received my photo today and it's teriffic, I can't thank you enough. I've been thinking about frames and can't decide between an ornate wooden frame or a semi-corroded frame to highlight the photo. At any rate I seriously appreciate the gift and your kindness will mean very much to me forever.

Adios, or should I say GDay Mate.
Thank you,

Tom

Mari February 19, 2009 at 5:58 PM  

This will be great fun to watch as it progresses!

shabby girl February 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM  

Bravo, TB! If someone has been to SF, they know of what you speak. If they haven't experienced SF, then you may very well be the one to show them what it's all about!
I love "the city", and since we live 1000 miles away now, I love seeing it vicariously through you.
I will ask my brother if he would like to be on your wonderful blog. He works in SF, and I know there are many people familiar with his "voice."

Reya Mellicker February 19, 2009 at 6:39 PM  

All the years I lived in San Francisco, I loved it so passionately that, on the day I left town I was so traumatized that I accidentally shut the car door on my dog's tail. Eleven year later, he still carries the scar. For many years, I carried the scar, too. On my heart. It was a tough transition to Washington DC.

These days, though, I don't miss it so much. I actually was able to reclaim my heart from San Francisco. It was a heroic effort!

Boutique By Bonnie February 19, 2009 at 6:52 PM  

This is a great project and I'm a little bit envious!

christina February 19, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

This was always one of my favorite shots of yours. : ) Dang, if I only lived closer. When I get there we will have a blast with our cameras. : )

I love you bunches!

Relyn Lawson February 19, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

Oooo.. Oooo!! So exciting! So perfectly, perfectly YOU. I am thrilled with this idea and eager to watch it unfold. You've already got an amazing start. The images today are fantastic.

CrochetBlogger February 19, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

It's terrific when things start to come together and develop like this. Looks like the start of a really great project! Hope the inspiration keeps up!

julochka February 20, 2009 at 5:46 AM  

i love entirely the notion of jumping in and seeing where something takes you...in fact, you might say it's a mode of being to live by. :-) i can't wait to see what this becomes!

xoxox,
/j

Marilyn Miller February 20, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

SF is pictures of memories in my mind. SF is a city I love, but have not traveled to in a long time. As a young girl I dreamt of living in SF, my grandmother lived there and was one of the characters of her era. On my 13th birthday she took me to Chinatown (52 years ago) for a birthday dinner. Oh the sights and sounds of Chinatown so many years ago. Then when my husband was in graduate school we lived at the corner or VanNess and Union, my husband did his internship at the Haight Clinic. It was the time of the flower children. That time formed much of who we are today. Ahh, the memories. I think I must visit again this year.

Kath February 20, 2009 at 10:07 AM  

I go away for a week and look at what happens! Good for you, you are an inspiration my friend.

The Pink Cowboy February 20, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

I find this project fascinating. A city is measured by the greatnes of its people. And you are on your way to document this fact. As a San Frnciscan-wannabe I'm going to be enjoying myself reading your amazing posts. I loved the shoe shinner photo. It's like a synthesis of his profession. I absolutely like the focus on his arm and the shoe polish cans. It is a very rich detailed picture. The composition is just fantastic.

d smith kaich jones February 20, 2009 at 7:25 PM  

This is really pretty wonderful, you know. I am so happy to come here and now there.

Love it.
:) Debi

Cynthia Pittmann February 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM  

You are so the perfect person to take on this project! I know it will be an exciting 'happening' to share with all of us outside of your California Dream'n city...Flower Power and Beyond...sorry, I'm just playing with titles for your new book...do you have a title yet? Love your new project...Ms. Julie Inspiration aka Tangobaby.

Brenda Susan February 22, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

Tango - I was born in SF but was moved quickly away as an infant to much smaller towns. I am so enjoying your beautiful view of the city because for me it has looked kind of scarey & busy. This small town woman is really seeing SF for the first time thru your camera! Thank you.