julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, August 8, 2008

We Now Interrupt Our Fever

(Guys, I promise that if I still have a fever tomorrow, I will go to the doctor.)

That being said, I've been on the sofa a lot since Tuesday. Not a place where you feel exceptionally beautiful, wearing sweats and surrounded by tea cups and wadded Kleenex.

But if you need to escape for a while (fever or no), pick up a copy of Barry Lyndon. I'm a huge Stanley Kubrick fan, and this might be a movie that doesn't usually come to mind when you think of his films, but it should. I haven't watched it for several years, and I had forgotten how perfect this film is visually, so carefully crafted and an entirely fascinating world that comes to life before your eyes.

Plus, there's no better chick flick moment than this clip below. How I'd love to be Marisa Berenson for these four minutes. *sigh* No matter what Ryan O'Neal may have come to, he was pretty damn glorious in 1975.

swoon.



When I feel better, I am totally going to get kissed.

***

A very interesting review of Barry Lyndon here.

I got that second photo here.

12 comments:

Relyn Lawson August 8, 2008 at 10:20 PM  

Wishing you lots and lots of kisses, with or without the hat. Feel better soon.

My Castle in Spain August 9, 2008 at 8:14 AM  

Hope this nasty fever will soon leave you in peace...

I am now catching up with your last posts.

the contest idea is brilliant ! be sure , i'll participate :-)

and oh..yes Barry London..definitely one of my favorite languid romantic movies ! the music and the costumes are so great and Marisa Berenson so ethereal...

lots of kisses for you !!

Anonymous August 9, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

Just dropping by to say the You Tube you created for Tara is Excellent!
Hope your back to Tangoing tonight!
Constance

Anonymous August 9, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

Just dropping by to say the You Tube you created for Tara is Excellent!
Hope your back to Tangoing tonight!
Constance

tangobaby August 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM  

Hi relyn,

You ARE my mom! You have me so figured out, don't you? It's the HAT, isn't it? I want to be her because of the hat.

I am so easy to figure out. You can be my therapist too.

Thank you for the kisses. They totally worked. I don't have a fever anymore!

Hi lala,

You are catching up with me, which reminds me I have to catch up with you and see what is happening in glorious Granada.

I will come to see you and we can watch Barry Lyndon together. Maybe you can design some clothes inspired by the film? Or a hat? For me?

xoxo

Hi rochambeau,

Thank you, and welcome! That was a super fun project that made me forget I was under the weather. I'm so glad you liked it. Now let's cross our fingers for dear Tara and hope that she gets some publishers signed up!

Anonymous August 10, 2008 at 4:07 PM  

love it tangobaby. wow, i love the slow and steady timing. it had me glued. i love the costume(maybe not the hat) and the ballet like music. mm, i'll have to pick this one up

tangobaby August 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM  

Hi sarah,

It's a three-hour movie, but to me it doesn't feel like that at all. It's a gorgeous film, and it has a good story, so I think you'll enjoy it.

You just need three hours!
;-)

Leaning Shanty Farm August 11, 2008 at 5:05 PM  

I hope that you are feeling better by now...if not, then SERIOUSLY get to the doctor!! ;)

The film has now been added to my netflix queue. Hooray!

tangobaby August 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM  

Aside from the severe case of peeling on my poor little nose (I am calling it a slight case of leprosy), I am feeling much better.

To my dismay, I did not lose any weight, though.

The movie is great and I will look forward to your review after you see it.

Tomate Farcie August 11, 2008 at 11:32 PM  

Barry Lindon was a fantastic movie.
You mention Kleenexes: get well soon!

Tess Kincaid August 16, 2008 at 12:40 PM  

I actually own a copy of Barry Lyndon! It's a gorgeous, glorious film. Stanley Kubrick is a master director.

tangobaby August 18, 2008 at 10:48 AM  

Hi Willow,

I agree, this is one film worth owning (I do too) and I go down the list of Kubrick films and except for Eyes Wide Shut (which I detested) and A Clockwork Orange (which I am too afraid to watch), I think he is a singular and exemplary talent.

I see other movies and find little bits of Kubrick-ness in them. He must be quite an inspiration to many younger directors.

;-)