julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, August 25, 2008

The Secret Lives of Flowers

"Who would have thought it possible that a tiny little flower could preoccupy a person so completely that there simply wasn't room for any other thought...?" ~ Sophie Scholl

***

I really am on a quest to try to go to bed at a decent time tonight, but I just had to share with you these photos I took yesterday, of a hydrangea in the Japanese Tea Garden.

Look! There is a teeny tiny flower inside the hydrangea petals. I've never noticed that in my whole life, but thanks to a macro lens, I can now see something so exquisitely formed and so easily overlooked.

I am just totally blown away by this. I am not sure why.

I also thought it was really wonderful.

I don't really have much more to share, except that in trying to think of something to add to these photos, I found this very cool interactive website about the science of gardening, from one of my favorite places, The Exploratorium.

Check out this site... it's very interesting and entertaining.

Okay, nighty nite, you all. Sweet dreams.

14 comments:

Anonymous August 25, 2008 at 10:46 PM  

those are pleasant nighty-night flowers too. pretty purples. i love the flower inside the flower and also the interactive site. sweet flowery dreams to you too~

julochka August 26, 2008 at 1:17 AM  

i'm so gonna need a macro lens...thank goodness i'll be in singapore in a couple of weeks.

Alessandra Cave August 26, 2008 at 4:57 AM  

And have you heard of "the Botany of Desire". I think you'd like this book! Miss you, girl :)

christina August 26, 2008 at 6:19 AM  

It's beautiful! I was drawn in by the vivid color.

Tess Kincaid August 26, 2008 at 6:54 AM  

Ooooo...very Georgia O'Keefe! Fabulous shots!

Anonymous August 26, 2008 at 9:57 AM  

Macromania strikes again!!! Mwhahahaha...

FYI, you'll forever want to get EVEN CLOSER :-)

Elizabeth Brinton August 26, 2008 at 10:33 AM  

I adore the hydrangea. I used to think that it was an "old lady" sort of plant! I have a small "collection" of some special ones. What cool pleasure they bring in late summer! Beautiful pictures TB,
E

tangobaby August 26, 2008 at 10:45 AM  

Hi sarah,

I agree. I think hydrangeas are so soft and lovely and pillow-like.

Hi julochka,

Your head will fall off when you start playing around with your macro. It's THAT fun.

Hi gypsy alex,

I've seen that book and keep thinking I will get around to reading it someday. Thanks for the reminder.

Miss you, too!

Hi Christina,

There was a white hydrangea that was just as pretty, in its way. But the contrast of the pink and purple is pretty wonderful. I like the little bits of pollen.

Hi willow,

Wow! Thanks for the compliment!

Hi johanna,

My art conservator friend has a Leica microscope at his work and don't think I don't drool over the thought of getting to play around with that!

Hi Elizabeth,

I've always grown up with lots of hydrangeas around, so I guess I'm predisposed to think they are lovely.

Here is my favorite photo I've taken so far:

http://flickr.com/photos/tangobaby2/2731320884/

Anonymous August 26, 2008 at 12:52 PM  

My goodness, I'd not noticed that either..beautiful photos btw :-)

paris parfait August 26, 2008 at 1:24 PM  

Nature's beauty is endlessly enthralling, as evidenced by these lovely photos. xoxox

tangobaby August 26, 2008 at 3:28 PM  

Hi Carol,

I don't think those little flowers are there all the time, which is probably why we didn't notice them before.

Now you must go and try to find some for yourself!

;-)

Hi paris parfait,

I could have stayed there a lot longer and taken more photos, but my poor parents would have been very bored! I just adore that tiny flower. It's like a secret.

xoxo

Leaning Shanty Farm August 26, 2008 at 8:43 PM  

GORGEOUS!! I do love a pretty flower...and you've captured its magic so well! It's like you were a little fairy flitting about from flower to flower snapping shots!

Jaime August 28, 2008 at 10:31 PM  

Don't you just love macro lenses? They bring a whole new world to your eyes that you wouldn't normally see. If I had to live with only one lens, a macro would be it.
Beautiful images
xo

tangobaby August 29, 2008 at 4:59 PM  

Jaime,

I adore your nature images and know that the macro would of course be your favorite tool. I sometimes forget about it, perhaps because I'm surrounded by tall buildings and am always looking up and/or zooming in at things. I think I just need to remind myself more often to look for the tiny things, too.