julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, August 30, 2008

This Is the Palin We Need

“I know that we shall meet problems along the way, but I'd far rather see for myself what's going on in the world outside, than rely on newspapers, television, politicians and religious leaders to tell me what I should be thinking.” ~ Michael Palin

and

“Armageddon is not around the corner. This is only what the people of violence want us to believe. The complexity and diversity of the world is the hope for the future.” ~ Michael Palin

***

Read those quotes again please.

***

I'd campaign and vote for this Palin in a heartbeat. Too bad he's not American. (Oh, but John McCain was born in Panama and that seems to be skirting the rules about who can run for president, but I guess that issue has fallen off the radar now.)

For those of you who might only know Michael Palin as one of the brilliant Monty Pythons, his extensive travels have been his passion for many years and he is also a witty, prolific writer.

I've seen all of his series, but Himalaya is my absolute favorite (we've actually worn out these DVDs from watching them--I didn't even know you could do that).

Palin's humility and ability to present the astounding number of cultural, historical and sociological aspects and diversity of the world's countries is fascinating, educational and eye-opening.



Part of his New Europe series (which is not available on DVD yet):



If nothing else, we already know that he can wear women's clothing, too. I wonder what his position is on intelligence and humor in the White House? It's got to be more enlightened that what we've been getting for so long (although these quotes were never intended to be funny)... (This first skit is one of my favorites, but it's so hard to choose... but very appropos for the subject matter here. )

11 comments:

christina August 31, 2008 at 6:45 AM  

Now this is some interesting stuff! Was it okay to laugh at the video though? I feel bad if it wasn't. : )

Nancy Ewart August 31, 2008 at 2:18 PM  

I knew that you were a woman of perceptive taste. Michael Palin - Monty Python, world traveler and all-around-nice guy.

tangobaby August 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM  

Hi Christina,

Of course it was okay to laugh (I'm hoping you're talking about the Monty Python skit and not the travelogues, though!) and if you didn't laugh, then we'd have to find out what happened to your sense of humor!

I hope you shared that routine with your hubby! Perhaps he knows some judges who "bang their gavels"?

xoxo

Hi namastenancy,

I try, I got to give myself a little credit.

But I'm guessing it takes a woman of perceptive taste to recognize another?! hmmm...

Hope you're enjoying the gorgeous weather today!

;-)

Anonymous September 1, 2008 at 1:17 AM  

I love those two quotes by Palin, they ring very true with me.

Relyn Lawson September 1, 2008 at 7:54 AM  

I'm trying to comment on your Chinatown book. Anyway - OH YES!! You did it and it is marvelous. I am so happy for you. So proud of you. (Does that seem silly?) You are amazingly talented and I love that you don't sit around and piddle with your talent. You jump up and get busy using it. You are amazing. The book is amazing. YES!!

Anonymous September 1, 2008 at 8:14 AM  

You have a terrific sense of humor Tangobaby. Could you please run for President? You could tango your way into the White House and wear fabulous gowns and have great State house dinner~dances!!

Congrats on publishing your Chinatown Book!! You go girl!!!

xox
Constance

tangobaby September 1, 2008 at 6:09 PM  

Hi Carol,

I just can't help thinking that with this guy, what you see is what you get. He seems extraordinarily genuine and very very cool.

I think those quotes are very telling. It can't be coincidence that a love of travel opens your mind in many ways.

Hi relyn,

Thank you SO much! I can feel your enthusiasm all the way across the country.

I'm sorry I did not make that book text a proper post earlier. I did now so I can receive adoration. ;-)

I know you won't be too surprised that I'm already hard at work on the next installment. But I have big shoes to fill. The photos in the Chinatown book are some of my absolute favorites.

Hi Constance!

Well, now that's quite a picture you've painted of my presidency! LOL!

Thanks for the vote of confidence but my deepest wish is that we have someone extremely bright and very adept and insightful and forward thinking in the White House.

For right now, I think I'll stick with the photography and keep out of politics! Thank you for all the happy wishes, though.

;-)

Phyllis Hunt McGowan September 2, 2008 at 11:28 AM  

Thank you for this. I've liked Michael Palin for a while now- I do enjoy his Himalaya series and have it on DVD also.
How clever of you to put together this piece on a Palin we might put our hopes in ;)
The quotes said it all.

Mary-Laure September 2, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

This brings back so many wonderful and hilarious memories of watching the Monty Python's Flying Circus with my sister!
I had no idea he had had such a career after his days with the Circus.

A Cuban In London September 3, 2008 at 7:27 AM  

I watched a couple of eps from the second series, tango. Yes, you're right, I too would rather have this Palin to the other one, then again, I am not in the USA. Good luck to all of you come November, we'll keep fingers crossed for Obama from here across the Atlantic.

Greetings from London.

tangobaby September 3, 2008 at 4:53 PM  

Hi theelementary,

Don't we wish that we could have someone like him in office? Although part of me thinks that truly genuine and educated and compassionate people either a. do not run for public office or, b. if they do, they become corrupted or deranged after a time.

It is probably too big a burden for most people to wish to endure. I'm glad you like the quotes though. Those seemed like exactly what I wished to hear from at least one person holding office or wishing to.

Hi Mary-Laure,

I think you'll find that the Monty Python days are just a drop in the proverbial bucket and that these series will be even more to your liking, given your penchant for good reading and your love of travel and exploration. You should check out his website for more...the link is in the post somewhere.

Hi a cuban in london,

I know it won't surprise you at all that we will need all the luck we can get in November. There really is no middle ground which makes the stakes so high.

And greetings from San Francisco. (That's fun to say!)