julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Anchors Aweigh

Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh. Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day, of day.
Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam,
Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

***

This morning I'm off to sea! (Really.)

Aboard the only remaining working, fully restored WWII Liberty Ship, the SS Jeremiah O'Brien, on a cruise from San Francisco to see the "mothball" fleet in Suisun Bay.

I'll have a lot to tell you when I get back, so in the meantime get out your pea coats and enjoy this little number with Fred and Ginger called Let Yourself Go from Follow the Fleet:


***
And if you have not entered the Tangobaby Photography Contest, this is the last weekend you can email me your choices before the drawing! Thanks to all of you who already have!

I took that photo of the Betty Grable pin-up (who also has a small role in Follow the Fleet, as does Lucille Ball--as a blonde!) the last time I was aboard the Jeremiah O'Brien. Isn't she cute?

13 comments:

Greg August 16, 2008 at 10:20 AM  

have fun! iread about that voyage the other day and it sounds super fun!

as for me I'm off to watch zombies and nuclear attacks in SF's downtown!

Anonymous August 16, 2008 at 10:22 AM  

wow, thank you for the clip. i loved that movie so much; i'd completely forgot about it. love fred astaire. have fun on your voyage. i'm quite intrigued

paris parfait August 16, 2008 at 10:41 AM  

Sounds like a really fun day ahead! Can't wait to hear more (and see your photos). xoxox

My Castle in Spain August 16, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

Bon voyage and have fun !!!

sounds great this sailing adventure...

ps : am emailing you my picks for your contest tonight... :-)

Tess Kincaid August 16, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

Love Fred and Ginger! Have fun and tell us all about it when you return!

Fabulous new header, too. Fun fishnets!

cherish.photography August 16, 2008 at 8:30 PM  

I love the look of those pin-up girls.

P August 17, 2008 at 6:39 AM  

Oh my god. Cuteness explosion.

Have a wonderful time! xoxo

tangobaby August 17, 2008 at 12:00 PM  

Hi everyone,

I had a great time yesterday, took scads of photos that I'm sorting through to find the best ones to show you, and wanted to say hi.

I'll have a post soon to tell you all about the "ghost fleet"..it was very interesting, sad, photogenic, and more.

In the meantime, I'll just give one last plug for my photo contest that ends tonight, if you'd still like to participate:

http://tangobaby2.blogspot.com/2008/08/in-over-my-head.html

Hope you guys are having a great weekend!

ps. Greg, now I know what you look like! Who's the babe? And were the zombies and nuclear attacks you were going to see a SF Board of Supervisors meeting? Is Godzilla being appointed to run Muni now?

christina August 17, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

I think I need to see the whole movie! : ) I am entered in the contest already so I will just wait with my fingers crossed.

Anonymous August 17, 2008 at 10:20 PM  

i'm lovin' that new header! what great legs you have my dear. betty grabel had nothin' on you in the leg department! i was mesmerized by the film. we love seeing the old classic musicals. i'll be lookin' for those photos from today girl!
xoxox

Anonymous August 18, 2008 at 10:41 AM  

ha, that robin, a winner all around.

Relyn Lawson August 19, 2008 at 9:18 PM  

Well, you've given me another movie to add to my Netflix queue. I'm really looking forward to this one. For one thing, I adore Lucille Ball. She was so gorgeous and yet she never used it. She just succeeded on talent. Love that. Love her. I have I Love Lucy on my queue, too. It's time for Sloane to watch them. Their are what's on tap for our next family movie night.

tangobaby August 20, 2008 at 9:21 AM  

Hi relyn,

I really like Follow the Fleet, and it has a very famous (infamous) number at the end of the film (where Ginger accidentally smacks Fred in the face with the sleeve of her beaded dress).

Some people don't like it as it's not one of their best films, but I think it's cute. You don't really watch Fred and Ginger for the plot, you know?

Enjoy!