julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Short Comedy Public Announcement

For those of you (like me) who can use a serious dose of laughter AND you live near the city... (I mean this city.):

I wanted to let those of you in or near SF know that cartoonist/comedian/crazy guy Dan Piraro is back in town for "The Bizarro Baloney Show" at the Purple Onion in North Beach again. (I am sorry I have not had time to write a proper post and I'm still coasting on the last one and hoping you'll just look at the photos and old posts until I get my act together.)

***

From the show write-up: Bizarro cartoonist Dan Piraro returns to the Bay Area with "The Bizarro Baloney Show," a one-man show featuring comedy, music, puppets and slides of his award-winning cartoon strip, which is seen daily in the San Francisco Chronicle. If you missed his sold-out show this past winter, you can see him now.

Piraro is the winner of three consecutive Reuben Awards from the National Cartoonists Society and his acclaimed cartoon "BIZARRO" runs internationally every day each week.

***

For those of you who appreciate some smart and crazy humor and/or already read his cartoons, his show is a hilarious treat.

For those of you who don't know him, or can't get to the show, you can read more about him from this post I wrote a while back and then you can pretend like you were there, too.

ps. Is recycling posts good for the environment? At least I feel like I've accomplished something today.

pss. I even reused the cartoon, but it's so perfect for the state of affairs lately (former small-town mayors turned governor trying to ban books and fire librarians and all of that, my goodness!) that I had to reuse it.

6 comments:

Mary-Laure September 9, 2008 at 12:39 PM  

That cartoon made me laugh out loud, it's so great!
Thanks fr the good laugh, I needed it, my dear.

Anonymous September 9, 2008 at 2:07 PM  

That cartoon made me laugh out loud too :-) I love political cartoons. May I suggest checking out Stephen Bell who works for the British paper The Guardian, I love his stuff
http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/stevebell

tangobaby September 9, 2008 at 4:30 PM  

Hi mary-laure,

I'm glad you enjoyed it...and Piraro is a vegan and an animal rights activist, so you two would really get along.

If you didn't get to click to the link to my previous post, you should because there's a little video there about him that you might enjoy too.

Hi carol,

I know, today I really needed to read that cartoon again. Although a lot of them are very funny and odd. I will be sure to check out Stephen Bell.

My desert island cartoon would be Calvin and Hobbes, but they're too sweet to assuage my political demons right now.

Anonymous September 9, 2008 at 7:07 PM  

Thought you might find this interesting.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/palin/bannedbooks.asp

christina September 9, 2008 at 7:26 PM  

; ) That's me giggling!

tangobaby September 9, 2008 at 9:23 PM  

Hi anonymous,

Thank you for the snopes link. I had not seen that list of "banned" books before (and I'm sure I've seen it floating around and attributed to other people in the past, and I had read that excerpt about Palin's interview with the librarian somewhere else.

My concern is that even a "rhetorical" question about books being removed from a library is gravely disturbing.

If you feel strongly about the issue, perhaps next time you'll share your opinions but decide not to remain anonymous...

Hi christina,

I'm glad you're giggling! I wish I could take credit for that but I can't draw.