julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hungry for Obama: Brinner for Barack

My friends Amber and Mike (along with their kittens, Henry and June) are hosting a fundraising "brinner" to help raise money for the Obama campaign on Sunday night. (I did not know what a brinner was either, but it's when you have breakfast for dinner.)

***

In case you missed this article on the AP a couple of weeks ago, which is where this no-brow product package image comes from:

"Activists at a conservative political forum snapped up boxes of waffle mix depicting Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama as a racial stereotype on its front and wearing Arab-like headdress on its top flap.

While Obama Waffles takes aim at Obama's politics by poking fun at his public remarks and positions on issues, it also plays off the old image of the pancake-mix icon Aunt Jemima, which has been widely criticized as a demeaning stereotype. Obama is portrayed with popping eyes and big, thick lips as he stares at a plate of waffles and smiles broadly.

Placing Obama in Arab-like headdress recalls the false rumor that he is a follower of Islam, though he is actually a Christian.

On the back of the box, Obama is depicted in stereotypical Mexican dress, including a sombrero, above a recipe for "Open Border Fiesta Waffles" that says it can serve "4 or more illegal aliens." The recipe includes a tip: 'While waiting for these zesty treats to invade your home, why not learn a foreign language?' "

***

Actually, what makes me laugh is to imagine the doofuses who designed this waffle box, so confident in their humor and congratulating themselves on how incredibly snappy they are, having their gut-wrenching comedic sense so far ahead of the rest of us dummies.

But what's really ironic is that the McCain campaign just naturally (all organic, no artificial flavors added) provides its own fodder for the late-night talk shows, The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, and more, just by being themselves. No one needs to make up anything about John or Sarah because they show their ineptness unaided.

***

Isn't it amazing that learning a foreign language (as excoriated on that sophomoric waffle box) is presented to be a fault of character by the far right? Funny thing, I always thought having an education was beneficial to individuals and the world at large, but what do I know? I'm one of those dipshits that speaks French.

But then Thomas Jefferson knew French, Spanish, Greek, Latin and Gaelic. And we all know what a crappy president he was: The Louisiana Purchase (the largest land acquisition in US history that did not require a war), founder of the Library of Congress, founder of the University of Virginia (go Lala!) and all that other stuff, like drafting the Declaration of Independence...yeah, we should just eat our waffles and go back to sleep.

In advising his future son-in-law, Thomas Mann Randolph, Jr. on his education, Thomas Jefferson wrote, "With respect to modern languages, French, as I have before observed, is indispensable. Next to this the Spanish is most important to an American. Our connection with Spain is already important and will become daily more so. Besides this the ancient part of American history is written chiefly in Spanish.

Yeah, those McCain waffle pushers really know what's best. Wake me up when he fixes the economy. And bring me a side of bacon.

***

UPDATE: Amber has kindly provided me with the Hungry for Obama link, in case you would like to host your own party, too. Hmmm, do we know any talented gourmet chefs in Milwaukee? I think we do!

11 comments:

ModernTanguera September 30, 2008 at 11:31 AM  

I´m with you, but what do I know? I'm one of those crazies who speaks Spanish and has lived in a foreign country. I also think that we need to open our borders to those scary aliens. Let's not even speak of my attempts at learning Farsi ... ;)

A Cuban In London September 30, 2008 at 2:31 PM  

Hmmm... brinner, there's a new word for my vocabulary.

I'm with you in regards to Obama.

Greetings from London.

My Castle in Spain September 30, 2008 at 2:40 PM  

I've just been on the link "Hungry for Obama" and i'm so thrilled by this initiative ! As a French citizen, i do approve of learning foreign languages and getting mixed !

Hope you're having a great day, sweet Tangobaby
:-)

paris parfait September 30, 2008 at 2:40 PM  

Yeah, those silly Republicans were making hay with those advertising images during their convention. Small minds...what can one say? Sigh. I like your answer to them. xoxox

paris parfait September 30, 2008 at 2:49 PM  

And P.S. Those idiots that think learning a second or third language is a bad thing are exactly why the US is falling behind the rest of the world. Thomas Jefferson knew a thing or two. Pity that so many people today can't hold a candle to his knowledge or intellect.

I love the idea of brinners for Obama! xoxox

Anonymous September 30, 2008 at 3:25 PM  

You linked to the wrong Henry & June ;)

Here they are

haha.

tangobaby September 30, 2008 at 5:21 PM  

Hi moderntanguera,

Yeah, I know. We got our passports years before Sarah Palin did, but thank goodness she's breaking the glass ceiling so we can follow in her bootlicking steps.

You tried to learn Farsi! Wow. That is impressive. I took a Persian cooking class so I can make that really great rice dish, but I don't think that counts.

(I'm glad you're crazy like me, though.)

Hi a cuban in london,

I think this word has a looong way to go before it ends up in the OED. At least it's not textspeak, though. I think Amber made it up.

Hi Lala,

I know you approve! I'm glad you're excited. See, many many of us are trying! Keep your fingers crossed for us.

I'm having a much better day now that you're here.

Hi paris parfait,

It really is so pitiful, isn't it? I guess if this is all they can come up with, we should be glad

If you start thinking of the caliber of person that used to hold office, where speaking several languages, being world traveled, being an expert in several fields of study, etc., would make you want to jump out of a window in despair. Now we've got a loser who couldn't even manage a baseball team in office. And he can't even speak the one language he knows.

And yet, we did not impeach him either. Congress is full of wussies.

I wish you could come to the brinner!

Hi amber,

I did that to see if you were looking. heh heh.

But your Henry and June are much sweeter, even if they can't write.

ModernTanguera October 1, 2008 at 10:52 AM  

I am actually still working on learning Farsi, veeeery slowly. I have incentive, though - incentive that relates to your latest blog post. ;)

tangobaby October 2, 2008 at 3:51 PM  

Ah ha...the pieces are all coming together now. I think if you learn how to cook some of his favorite dishes, it won't matter what language you speak!

;-)

christina October 3, 2008 at 11:53 AM  

Hmm... me, me I am a uhem.. talented chef in Milwaukee!! LOL

I think this might be something I could pull off! I bet if I made a Autumn, pumpkin ravioli with a brown sage butter I could get a few people to come over for this dinner!

WTF! I'm sorry what is up with that damn waffle box! LOL For real?? : )

tangobaby October 3, 2008 at 2:12 PM  

Hi christina!

um...ahem...welll...yeah! You are the talented gourmet chef I meant!

It would be awesome if you could do this, go to the Hungry for Obama website. It's easy to set up.

Boy do I wish I could be there. Those raviolis sound amazing. Maybe Obama might swing by! Or maybe I can get a cheap flight and come too?!

About the waffle box, it's just so pitiful and pathetic. It almost leaves you speechless.