julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Words to End the Night By

I did not listen to the closing night speeches of the RNC.

The Boy picked me up from work in his vintage Jeep and we rode across town to the Golden Gate, where the waters of the San Francisco Bay open into the wide Pacific. We saw squadrons of pelicans and these amazing kites (are they para-sailers?) enjoying the breezes and flying across the waves in complete freedom, with only the winds to guide them.

Even though I could only take their pictures, for a second I felt their exuberance.

***

You and I.

You and I are so much more than those that spew their simplistic garbage from televisions and radios across the country, deflating hearts and poisoning minds. Those mean-spirited attacks.

Their pitiful jingoism.

We don't need them.

***

Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. ~ Woodrow Wilson

We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it. ~ William Faulkner

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home. ~ Edward R. Murrow

9 comments:

Anonymous September 4, 2008 at 11:04 PM  

this might seem wierd but i just could not love you more for posting this. its just a joy to visit your page, always. your date was a far better time than the spewing of convention guts. i guess freedom, maybe is more a state of mind?

christina September 5, 2008 at 6:01 AM  

This picture is incredible! It was best you didn't listen you would have went to bed sick!

Tess Kincaid September 5, 2008 at 6:58 AM  

Ahh...nothing like the wind in your hair to dispell nastiness.

P September 5, 2008 at 8:23 AM  

YES.
YES.
YES.

Elizabeth Brinton September 5, 2008 at 8:30 AM  

Oh Tangobaby, What a refreshing girl you are!
XOXO
E

studio wellspring September 5, 2008 at 8:42 AM  

let freedom ring ~ and may you always have lovely dates in warm sunets. xo!

Anonymous September 5, 2008 at 10:14 AM  

I would just love to sit and watch that :-)

tangobaby September 5, 2008 at 11:41 AM  

Hi mrs. sarah ott,

I think you are so wise. Our minds tell us how to feel and be, don't they? We allow our states of being to be so influenced by things that are not real, and to our detriment.

Hi christina,

Yes, The Boy did the right thing. Plus, driving in his Jeep as cooler than cool. (But with gas at $4 a gallon, we only have Sunday drives these days.) I'm glad you liked the photo!

Hi willow,

One cannot complain about the air here in San Francisco. We are never without a lovely breeze and it's a big reason why I am so happy here, even though it does interfere with my hairdo at times.

Hi p,

I'm glad you read this. I was sorry to visit you and find you so sad, even though I knew exactly how you felt.

I don't want anyone to take your sass from you.

Hi elizabeth,

Thank you and I'm glad you think so. I have my good moments.

;-)

Hi ms. wellspring,

Thank you and someday there will be a sunset like this with you, me and The Peach.

xoxo

Hi carol,

It was so lovely, but I hate to say it's a common scene, because it is. That's just how things look from the Marina and it's really really pretty.

I bet Dylan would have loved the sails. They were great fun to watch.

paris parfait September 6, 2008 at 5:59 AM  

Hear, hear my wise and beautiful friend. xoxox