julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Dawn of a New Day

Careful now.
We're dealing here with a myth.

This city is a point upon a map of fog;

Lemuria in a city unknown.

Like us,

It doesn't quite exist.

~ Ambrose Bierce

***

I love the fog.
I love to watch it float past my living room window, where I might sit in a chair and just see it thicken and grow until the view outside is completely obscured.

It's like the world is wrapping you lovingly with a soft, quiet gauze. Fog makes you look inside, too, because there's nothing to see outside.

I took this photo when I awoke, early in the morning, from my living room window. This time, the fog was disappearing to the glow of the rising sun. I thought it was such a soft and pretty sight, and that this music would suit it perfectly: Simone Dinnerstein playing the Aria from Bach's Goldberg Variations (to which I was introduced by a friend, thank you so very much).

I hope you like this. I think it is perfect fog watching music.


8 comments:

Tess Kincaid September 30, 2008 at 7:47 AM  

Wonderful photo! I love the fog, too. We usually get quite a bit this time of year, because we live on the banks of a river. Not much, yet, though. And as for the Goldberg Variations, I have a recording of Glenn Gould playing that I've almost worn out. Yes, it pares perfectly with a lovely "pea soup" fog.

b September 30, 2008 at 9:51 AM  

I like that photograph. Funny you should mention the Goldbergs, because in your post yesterday you were talking about fearing the loss of your mind when you got old, I think, and I was thinking how I did not fear that because for ten years I have been studying and playing a game called go which creates a lot of synapse firing and it's about all I can do to buck up my chances. Well, for the first five years or so of studying this game, I had built a little Japanese-themed study dojo and during those five years I always studied in there while listening to Bach, either the Goldbergs (my mom had given me an orginal double-album set when I was a little kid) or the Cello Suites. I eventually settled mostly into the Suites, but the Goldbers have been a part of my life since I was a kid on into my forties.

tangobaby September 30, 2008 at 9:51 AM  

Hi willow,

It's funny, in my little SF-centered mind, I must think that we have the market on fog. Lol. Although it can be pretty spectacular and dense, or wispy and filled with droplets.

I like the Glenn Gould version too, but this one to me is more delicate, more expressive and slower. Compare the two and listen for the differences.

It's my favorite part of the whole Goldberg Variations. I can listen to this repeated for a long time.

Anonymous September 30, 2008 at 10:05 AM  

Beautiful music, I loved it :-)

Phivos Nicolaides September 30, 2008 at 10:15 AM  

I like the photo and the myth behind it. Very good music as well.

tangobaby September 30, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

Hi b,

We had overlapping comments here, while you were writing to me, I was answering willow.

I think losing your cognitive ability, losing control of your emotions, losing hope, all of those things run together to me. But I hear you, we all want to do whatever we can to keep our minds working and thinking in as many ways as we can.

What surprises me about some people when they get older is how much they lose interest in lots of things. I wonder why that is? I would assume that if you love go, then you'll continue to play it all the days of your life. But some people are not like that. They just stop.

I'm glad you and I are in agreement on the music, too.

Hi carol,

I'm so happy you liked that piece. It's very soothing, isn't it?

Hi phivos,

That is an interesting and appropriate quote. I don't know a lot about Ambrose Bierce but he certainly hit the nail on the head with that quote. Today, the sky looked nothing like that photo in the morning. Clear and sunny and no fog to be seen.

paris parfait September 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM  

Beautiful - I love the fog and it's one of the things I miss most about San Francisco! xoxox

Relyn Lawson September 30, 2008 at 8:47 PM  

Oh, I do love this music. I love fog, too. Every morning on my way to work I drive over a little bridge and a creek. For about a week or so the creek and the hills around it have been fog shrouded. Lovely.