julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Katie Couric Better Watch Her Back

If these interviews with Sarah Palin keep getting aired, Katie better watch out for helicopters flying overhead...or she may end up like one of those wolves.



From you know where:

Katie Couric: You made a funny comment, you've said you have been listening to Joe Biden's speeches since you were in second grade.

Gov. Palin: It's been since like '72, yah.

Katie Couric: You have a 72-year-old running mate*, is that kind of a risky thing to say, insinuating that Joe Biden's been around awhile?

Gov. Palin: Oh no, it's nothing negative at all. He's got a lot of experience and just stating the fact there, that we've been hearing his speeches for all these years. So he's got a tremendous amount of experience and, you know, I'm the new energy, the new face, the new ideas and he's got the experience based on many many years in the Senate and voters are gonna have a choice there of what it is that they want in these next four years.

Yeah, right, Sarah. That's what you meant.

* Biden is 66 years old.


***

I'm sure you're like me and have worked with some poor soul (or two) who just got in over his/her head but wouldn't admit it even when it was painfully obvious. Here's an interesting perspective.

"Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments." The two Cornell psychologists began with the following assumptions:
  • Incompetent individuals tend to overestimate their own level of skill.
  • Incompetent individuals fail to recognize genuine skill in others.
  • Incompetent individuals fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy.
These points in particular really ring a bell. Sound like anyone you've been reading about lately? What are the chances that Palin makes it to November 4?

8 comments:

Simply Me Art September 30, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

I say it is about 50-50 that she makes it to November 4th! I think the Preverbial Bloom has has worn off the Sarah Palin Rose! Thank God...Just stumbled in thru Flickr.. Beautiful Photography. Jamie

Greg September 30, 2008 at 5:09 PM  

God, I hope she loses, I can't bear to listen to her bs speaking style and that awful chirpy voice of hers for 4-8 years.

After getting your email and seeing this I gave Barry $30. So take that, Filibuster Palin!

n a n c y September 30, 2008 at 5:19 PM  

Hmm......I am thinking this perception of skill level might also be applied to a whole bunch of tango dancer/teachers I know.

And as for Sarah, her biggest supporters ( far right wing nuts) are already backing away from her.

julochka October 1, 2008 at 1:56 AM  

we could wish for her to go back to alaska and be attacked by an angry moose. or maybe a whole herd of them.

Anonymous October 1, 2008 at 10:35 AM  

whoa...i hadn't known about hte wolf bounty. that just makes me sick. i can't even imagine that NAYONE would be able to trust this person. this kind of action = 0 compassion or respect for life.

tangobaby October 2, 2008 at 3:18 PM  

Hey guys!

Thanks for being patient...sometimes these comments just get away from me.

Hi simply me art,

Welcome and thank you for finding me. I am glad to see you here.

Sometimes I am so optimistic and othertimes so jaded. We shall see tonight...with expectations being so low for her, I am guessing she'll survive and continue on to election day.

Hi greg,

I just can't go there now. Don't even want to picture it. ugh.

I'm glad you got the email. We can wear our t-shirts together at the Blackthorn!

Hi n a n c y,

You totally have a point here. Although maybe there's a little less at stake with a dancing teacher (unless that person was on a national ticket).

Even though some of the supporters are backing away, it's the people who want someone "just like them" that love her and won't listen to criticism. You'd think eight years of an ordinary Joe in office would have clued them in, but no.

*sigh*

Hi julochka,

I don't want her to be attacked by an angry moose. I just want her to go back to Alaska and stay there.

Hi robin bird,

That is really sad about the wolves. I can't imagine that hunters cannot find enough prey to shoot, and that the wolves are depleting the wildlife. It's ridiculous, actually.

A bird in the hand October 2, 2008 at 10:17 PM  

I just gave Tara (paris parfait) a very short precis of the debate between Senator Biden and Johna McPalin.

I then tuned in to The Daily Show and The Colbert Report for a return to sanity.

Cheers, Colette

tangobaby October 3, 2008 at 3:08 PM  

Hi colette,

I saw that great comment you left Tara. Every time you write something, I think, Boy, she's said exactly what I meant, only 100x better.

I think a lot of us would be labeled clincally depressed right now if not for the DS and Colbert!