julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Let's Face the Music and Dance

“A good dancer is one who listens to the music... We dance the music, not the steps. Anyone who aspires to dance never thinks about what he is going to do. What he cares about is that he follows the music. You see, we are painters. We paint the music with our feet..." ~ Carlos Gavito



Gosh, I haven't watched this video in ages. This video feels positively prehistoric to me.

It's the only video I have of me dancing tango.

I have to try to love this video more than feel terribly uncomfortable watching it (i.e., cringing) because I was having such a wonderful time dancing, with a leader that I love to dance with. But I also have that inner critic watching me, looking at my form, tsk-tsk-ing at all of the mistakes I made. And then that brings up all of my other tango-related issues.

But then I look again, take my imaginary hands away from my eyes and remember the warm summer night, the music, my new shoes (that dance was a test drive for a new pair of shoes from Argentina), the pleasure of dancing to a song I love with someone who likes dancing with me. The impromptu creativity of the dance where you never know what the next step will be but you just feel the music and follow what you are led. Painting the music with our feet.

And at the end. How we laughed.

I have to send an email to that guy and say hello. It's been forever and a day. I need to get my dancing shoes out. For reals.

***

ps.: The story of the video is here.

pss.: "Let's Face the Music and Dance" is one of my favorite Astaire/Rogers numbers, from Follow the Fleet. I know the film is not as well known as some of their others, but I really like it.

psss.: A nod o' the head to Gabby and Lala, who both in their own little ways inspired this post even though they might not realize it. And to my sweet friend Red Shoes, who was brave first and who will get me back on the dance floor sooner than later.

30 comments:

Relyn Lawson January 3, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

Oh, TB!! YEAH!! A tango post. I loved getting to see that video of you. My thoughts were, "That gorgeous hair! Holy cow! Look at those shoes! What fun!" In that order, actually. I hope you do dance again. Soon. If I miss it, I know you must.

will January 3, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

Good for you! Your reveals are always quite fun.

I also agree about Follow the Fleet.

Cyndi January 3, 2009 at 11:53 PM  

That was awesome! I have to say, I love the shows! They make your legs look like they go on forever!! Argentina, you say?

Red Shoes January 4, 2009 at 12:32 AM  

You have sexy feet.

Anonymous January 4, 2009 at 12:41 AM  

oh wow, you rock!!

I LOVED watching this dancing video of you.

Unknown January 4, 2009 at 12:48 AM  

I lOVE this post! Being from Argentina, I love anything Tango related! It reminds me of a day looong ago dancing with my Grandfather onthe cobblestone streets of La Voca in Buenos Aires where the dance was born! I have photos but no video, what a treasure you have there! Thank you for reminding me of those beautiful memories. I recall that my Grandma would tell stories of how she would sneak out of her house and meet up with her friends to dance there! *sigh* Another world and another place. This post was magic for me~Thank you!
xoxo
Judith~

Last of the Fauxicans January 4, 2009 at 12:50 AM  

I'm spectacularly impressed. With not even a hint of irony. Really impressed. That is the most Romantic (with a capital R) thing I've seen in I don't know how long.

Also, you commented on my blog, then came back and commented again, and I was touched, because I enjoy your blog quite a bit, and also horrified in the way that someone is horrified when an unexpected visitor drops by and sees their apartment in complete disarray. But my point is: thanks for stopping by.

Unknown January 4, 2009 at 12:51 AM  

Wooops! I meant La Boca not La Voca. Oh, my mother would be so ashamed! Sorry...
Judith~ The bad Argentian girl with terrible spelling!

DollZandThingZ January 4, 2009 at 3:40 AM  

What a wonderful video! Who would notice mistakes?! The shoes are superb, the dancing is so spontaneous and the video is so charming. The fuzzy texture of the video made me feel I was watching a European movie. Love your video and seem to love your writing, too. Happy new year and keep on dancing! That was so unexpected and so much fun to watch!

paris parfait January 4, 2009 at 4:01 AM  

How wonderful that you have this special video! Thanks for sharing it. Great shoes - it looks like such fun! xoxox

msHedgehog January 4, 2009 at 4:17 AM  

You never said what it was exactly that made you stop. But yes, it's a privilege to dance with people who value us as dancers, as women, as people. It's a pity if others can stop us.

On the other hand, it's been great reading all the other stuff.

It's a lovely video. You're no flamingo-on-coke, but you dance very gracefully, musical and connected. I was certainly inspired by that video when I watched it at the time. (Whatever happened to the videographer, Mad-Miles-On-The-Clock?)

AssertiveWit January 4, 2009 at 4:37 AM  

you danced perfectly!!! and those shoes....I was looking at your shoes more than you LOL

julochka January 4, 2009 at 6:38 AM  

you must go back to the tango if only for the sake of the shoes.

xoxox,
/j

Char January 4, 2009 at 8:14 AM  

shoes - divine, of course. but more so, the laughter and the abandon to dance in the street. how wonderful - reminds me of the dancing in the fountain in Italy.

viva life!

Kath January 4, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

{applause} Thank you for sharing. You are so beautiful. Your photos from Friday are breathtaking. Is the camera okay?

iasa January 4, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

That video was wonderful. It is filled with what we all need more of, it is full of life.

P January 4, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

Looks pretty fantastic to me! And those shoes...oh, those shoes.

Anonymous January 4, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

Welcome "home" TB :-)

Queenie Francie January 4, 2009 at 12:54 PM  

such a beautiful video! i love it! and your shoes are gorgeous!

i love Let's Face the Music and Dance as well. i love the way fred sings that song and the fluidity with which they danced. i'm a big fred/ginger fan.

your video is a bit of captured magic - thank you for sharing.

vsm/whirling dirvish photography January 4, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

What thrill and freedom! Such a beautiful display of art!

LOVE the shoes!

La Pianista January 4, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

Nice moves - and hair! And shoes! I haven't danced in forever, ever since I was wee.

I love jazz, especially the stuff from the thirties and forties - it's a nice alternative when I want something a little other than classical. ;)

Tess Kincaid January 4, 2009 at 2:17 PM  

This was so fun! Replace the cars with some old ones and it would look absolutely vintage! ;^)

Maryam in Marrakesh January 4, 2009 at 4:15 PM  

oh rats.........! Why can't I see it here in Marrakech? The screen is black:-(

Blue Sky Dreaming January 4, 2009 at 4:16 PM  

You and the shoes....great hotness!
Your partner held you so perfectly and all your moves sublime.

Chipmonkey January 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

That was an absolute treat!

christina January 4, 2009 at 7:13 PM  

Honestly, I never imagined I could fall more in love with you than I already had. Then there was the laugh at the end... true happiness.

Hugs.

Elizabeth Brinton January 4, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

Oh Tangobaby, I miss you. This video just makes me happy, you look so......Tangobaby-ish and you dance so....elegantly. Maybe if I can get it together I will follow in your well placed footsteps, and post me dancing....gulp.
XOXO
E

The Pink Cowboy January 5, 2009 at 11:56 AM  

¡¡¡Qué placer!!!! Love the video , so elegant and so poetic to dance at night in the streets. I am a big fan of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. I love Follow the Fleet, specially Let's Face the Music and Dance. You will also see a very young Harriet Hilliard (of Harriet and Ozzie fame)

A Cuban In London January 5, 2009 at 12:36 PM  

Fun, that was the only word that came up when I saw the video. Fun, and that should be it. You had fun, loads of it. Good on you, TB.

Greetings from London.

b January 23, 2009 at 6:54 PM  

Loved it.