julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Spreading the Magic Around

I just had to share this... I'm just beyond excited.

Some of you may remember my friend Christian Cagigal, who is an amazing magician. I call him the Magic Man. Christian is not only a friend, but holds a special place in my heart because he is the first person I ever took portraits of, and totally got me hooked on taking photos of people. What a world of delight and opportunity can be created when you take photos of people.

You can see more of our original photoshoot here.

Anyway, Christian's been working on a new show, and the photo you see above is an amalgam of two photos from our original shoot. To see the image above explains a lot about Christian and his approach to the mysterious and magical in all of life.


And I'm just beside myself that I'm now a part of his creativity and his show.

Wow. The day's been a little nutty preparing for my Staycation and this just totally made things all right. It's one thing to take photos for the sheer enjoyment of what might happen, but when you can actually make something out of thin air, and help someone else, then that's really what it's all about. Thanks, Christian, for giving me this opportunity to make some magic of my own.

18 comments:

Char January 8, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

you take such great shots...I love the suitcase shot on the blog.

why will my friend not cooperate with me???

Paula P. January 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM  

I am trying to become a better photographer myself, and your blog serves me of great inspiration. Thank you for such a great display of imagery!

Laura Doyle January 8, 2009 at 4:44 PM  

Wow! That is such great news! It really seems as if things are just sort of falling into place for you. I sincerely hope it continues in that fashion. : )

Gabby January 8, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

Holy #@!*% is right. I want you to do my header, will ya? Wow amazing portfolio. You have THE EYE!

rosedale's 4head January 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM  

been before - back again - love the shot of the dolls feet - amazing stuff.

vsm/whirling dirvish photography January 8, 2009 at 5:50 PM  

Great photo... love it...
I've got another little photog friend in the city by the bay... look up Ben Chrisman... I talked a bit about the rad dude on my spot today..

Mari January 8, 2009 at 6:16 PM  

They are really wonderful, and now it looks like you've been a muse for many people, so scratch that one off the list!

The Pink Cowboy January 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM  

Photography: where a magician meets himself.

Wayfaring Wanderer January 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM  

I am intrigued by these photos! Magical, indeed :o)

Yoli January 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

I have to come California for you to take pictures of me with my swords. Maybe just my swords they are prettier.

I am happy that you and Christian have this collaboration. You are a very talented person.

Christian Cagigal January 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

Wow! I came back to see if you got my comment and I find this! Thank you for the shotout, kudos and highlight!

A wise magician once told me "No Art is created in a vacuum." That's especially true of theatre. I'm very lucky to have extremely talented friends in my life. And, I'm even luckier that you're one of them.

Talk to you soon,
Christian

julochka January 8, 2009 at 11:38 PM  

the suitcase shots are wonderful...the one with the doll on flickr creeps me out a little bit. that doll could go bad at any moment...

but the carousel ones are indeed magical!

paris parfait January 9, 2009 at 3:38 AM  

Having been lucky enough to witness Christian's last show, I'd say San Franciscans are in for another treat! And how much fun that you get to play a part! Well done, you!

A Cuban In London January 9, 2009 at 4:47 AM  

Thanks for the photos, they are excellent. You're right, portraits bring the best (and the worst) out of people.

Greetings from London.

Sarah January 9, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

you're so creative! i like it very much! (and i love that you changed the main picture on your page. that's a great shot of you; it makes you wonder!)

have a great friday!

sarah

Anonymous January 9, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

Way to go TB! I just love when great memories are rekindled in present form. Do you get a free ticket for his show?

Christian Cagigal January 9, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

Yes. ;)

robin laws January 9, 2009 at 8:24 PM  

i love the thrill you express! well deserved TB and it really is a fantastic series! a well deserved use of your work :) bravo girl!