julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Yes, Another Harold and Maude Post

But this one is cleverly disguised as Public Service Announcement. Actually there are two very important things I want you to do today.

One, if you live in San Francisco*, is get tickets to see Bud Cort at the Castro Theatre on January 22nd. He'll be there for an on-stage interview (remember when I told you about the one with Gene Wilder?!) and then a 38th Anniversary Screening of Harold and Maude.

I will be there, sitting towards the front, wearing waterproof mascara and carrying a box of Kleenex, so you'll know which one I am. (I already got my ticket.)

Secondly, listen to this song, "Don't Be Shy," originally part of the film's excellent soundtrack.
Yusuf Islam, the former Cat Stevens, gives a moving and wonderful performance. Not even so much for the song, which is perfect, but how he introduces it.



***

ps.: for you newbies, a Harold and Maude reference is a fairly common occurrence here at Tangobaby.

pss.: If you're wondering what ever happened to Bud Cort after his H&M and M*A*S*H days, you can read more about him at the end of the wikipedia page, including some great interviews. And if you haven't seen him in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, rent that too because I'm on a misson to make sure people see that film. It's too good to have gone so unappreciated.

*If you have not seen Harold and Maude or haven't seen it in many years, get it today.
Do not delay. And while you're at it, get The Life Aquatic, too.

Don't be shy just let your feelings roll on by
Don't wear fear or nobody will know you're there
Just lift your head, and let your feelings out instead
And don't be shy, just let your feeling roll on by
On by

You know love is better than a song
Love is where all of us belong
So don't be shy just let your feelings roll on by
Don't wear fear or nobody will know you're there
You're there

Don't be shy just let your feelings roll on by
Don't wear fear or nobody will know you're there
Just lift your head, and let your feelings out instead
And don't be shy, just let your feeling roll on by
On by, on by, on by, on by, etc.

12 comments:

iasa January 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

Ah, another one of those films I should have seen years ago that I never have.

vsm/whirling dirvish photography January 4, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

I loved that film and if I did still live in Berkley I would be there... aahh, Texas just isn't Cali and Cali just isn't Texas...

tim January 4, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

Sorry, but I think "Harold and Maude" is just wrong on so many levels. I know it's become a sort of cultish movie, but it's not for me. I even think Hugh Hefner and his "Girls next door" is a bit much. Of course I wouldn't mind being Hef(except for his age).

Perhaps I should work on my double standards. :>)

Tom

Gabby January 4, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

Cannot come to the city on a Thursday, else I would make the pilgrimage. I'll imagine it, put on my wings, and fly on over in my own way.

ModernTanguera January 4, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

Thank you for posting that video. I grew up on Cat Stevens and adore his music. I just went and listened to his recent performances of all sorts of songs (including the one you posted). Beauuuutiful.

Yoli January 4, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

Hola! Love "The Life Aquatic" have to pick up Harold and Maude!

J9 January 4, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

Have loved both movies, and adore Cat Stevens music!

Char January 4, 2009 at 4:19 PM  

love all the movies and the lecture sounds like something I would adore to attend. now I have to watch that again since you've mentioned it. such a great film.

The Pink Cowboy January 4, 2009 at 10:58 PM  

Harold and Maude is a favorite film of mine. I simply loved Owen Wilson in the Life Aquatic such an understated performance, and Cate Blanchet is histerically funny. I watch this film over and over. It reminds me of the tv specials I used to watch with Jacques Cousteau and the Calypso staff. Only funnier.

Anonymous January 4, 2009 at 11:58 PM  

this theater isn't in any way connected with any one of the Castros in the Cuban regime is it?

that would be worth going to

Mari January 5, 2009 at 7:44 AM  

Oh I love that movie! Ruth Gordon has always reminded me of my grandmother. I just realized I need to watch it with my girls. Thanks for the reminder!
If you wanna sing out, sing out!
If you wanna be free, be free!
Cause there's a million things you can be
You know that there are...

DollZandThingZ January 26, 2009 at 2:58 AM  

Watch out for those tricky turns!