julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Candy Is Heavy

Try carrying a bag of this stuff home on the train!

Today, I have spent almost as much money on candy, chips, popcorn and soda as I have donated to the Obama campaign. It's hard to not go into Walgreens and get three boxes of whatever because they're 3-for-$1. I have to get three boxes of each, at least. Plus extra Junior Mints.

And then I went to the grocery store and got every kind of potato chip I could fit in my basket, plus Fritos, Doritos (hey, that rhymes) and those honey mustard pretzel nuggets. Oh, and two bags of Pirate Booty. When I got to the register, the checker said, "Oh, someone's got a bad case of the munchies!" and I said, "No! It's for my movie night!" and then he said, "Yeah, that's what they all say. Ha ha!"

But it's true. It is for my movie night.

Here's the poster to prove it. I just made it. Many thanks to Bill Stankus for providing the graphic that made me laugh today!

***

Here is something that did not make me laugh today, and if you got all worked up over yesterday's post, What's In a Name, then maybe you don't want to watch this. I just ate almost a whole bag of Pirate Booty and I don't know if the stomachache is from that, or from this video.



At least they weren't saying he should be killed.

12 comments:

Nancy Ewart October 9, 2008 at 9:13 PM  

I guess you can't underestimate the willful blindness of some people.

tangobaby October 9, 2008 at 9:31 PM  

I think I myself am guilty of willfully overestimating how much candy and chips will realistically be consumed on Saturday.

;-)

No, I hear you. I wish there was some sort of Geneva Convention that applied to elections.

Anonymous October 9, 2008 at 10:15 PM  

that is one fine poster my dear!! it's a good thing this election is only happening once in four years or you might be having to visit you in the hospital while you are having your stomach pumped from a jr. mint overdose!
that was a deadly video :(

julochka October 9, 2008 at 11:29 PM  

love the poster!! toy train. that's brilliant!!

tangobaby October 10, 2008 at 6:30 AM  

Hi birdtweet,

Junior Mints are like one of the main groups in my food pyramid. I don't know if I've ever od'ed on them, say like I have on Pringles.

But I am glad that our elections only happen once every four years because I don't think we could stand the stress if they were more frequent.

The video, I don't know, maybe I was already expecting that stuff, so I was just glad I don't live near it. I like my bubble the way it is.

Hi straight talk on mc cain,

No, I totally agree with you. It's not surprising and I guess that part of me is glad that they didn't say even worse things. Wierd, huh? I was expecting worse.

I went to your blog and I'll be back again, but I wonder now...In 2000, I liked John McCain. I probably would have voted for him then. And out of all of the Repub candidates this year, I liked him the most. But when did he completely turn into a different person? It's not just me, is it? He seems to be a completely different guy now.

But now I worry that he was always this way and we just didn't know it years ago.

Hi julochka,

That toy train is a killer. Funny, yes, and also literally. Wish you were coming to my party.

mo October 10, 2008 at 8:53 AM  

I laughed out loud at your train poster. Thanks for the laugh!

christina October 10, 2008 at 10:32 AM  

The other night I was tired of walking in the cold and rain to knock on doors and see if voters are registered and voting for Obama.

This video has given me the strength to do it all over again this weekend.

tangobaby October 10, 2008 at 11:29 AM  

Hi mo,

Welcome to my blog...and thank you! I have to admit that I had the same reaction when I saw that train art on Bill's blog.

He very kindly mailed me a jpeg, and I stuck some type on it, and a poster was born.

At least we still have our sense of humor, right?

Hi christina,

The thought of you going out after a long day's work, in the dark, when I know you're tired because you work so hard, to do what you're doing is positively heroic.

I admire you so much. I hope the people who's lives you touch realize what a bit of grace you bring with you.

xoxo

My Castle in Spain October 10, 2008 at 12:20 PM  

Oh my..this video made me want to shout- "He could be a terrorist"...what the f.. please J., forgive my language but this is too much..Where is the common sense
gone ?!

anyway sweetie have a great movie week end !
:-)

Anonymous October 10, 2008 at 12:57 PM  

Geesh that video has just left me speechless, all I can do is type this and shake my head.

tangobaby October 10, 2008 at 2:51 PM  

Hi lala,

I wish I knew more about our country's history and opposition to presidential candidates. I cannot think that this must be the lowest that things have ever gotten to, but maybe it's always like this.

What I hope most of all is that this dies down and that these angry mobs are not really mobs at all must just a fringe that will melt away.

Yes, that just sounded totally delusional. I admit it. It just hurts to see this sort of thing.

Hi carol,

You and me both. You and me both. You and me and millions of people.

Sue October 12, 2008 at 6:34 AM  

I feel your pain. I too have carried home many a heavy bag of candy and chips.

I LOVE your poster and your blog.