julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, October 11, 2008

See, It Doesn't Have to Be Like This

This morning I read something I've been waiting to see in the media for a while now. Especially given what I wrote about earlier in the week.

Promise me you will read this letter to John McCain, just published in the Baltimore Sun, written by Frank Schaffer, a New York Times best-selling author who worked on McCain's campaign in 2000. Promise me you will read it.

It's exactly the kind of accountability that has been sadly missing in the media lately, and as I read this letter, I felt more and more optimistic that good people from all places on the political spectrum will speak out and say what is true and right.

***

I felt so encouraged by what I read here, and grateful to Frank for writing this piece, that I knew I had to write him a thank you note.

Here I am, in my pyjamas, just woke up, hair standing on end, writing an email I know I won't get a reply to. But just in case he might read it, I wanted him to know I think he's a hero in my eyes.

And wouldn't you know it, he wrote right back.

See, we are all connected. It all matters. One voice can multiply into millions, to serve and uplift, or to bring down and destroy.

***

Dear Frank,

I don't know if you will even get this email or read it. I'm sure you're just deluged with email right now.

But I wanted you to know that I just read your Open Letter to John McCain. What you said there is exactly how millions of us feel, horrified and sickened by the rhetoric that the McCain campaign has intentionally used to assassinate Barack Obama's character, if not his person.

Thank you for writing this. I know it must have been a heartbreaking thing for you to do. But I think that many, many millions of Americans respect and thank you for your effort.

In 2000, I would have voted for McCain. Today, I just feel sorry for him.

All the best,

Julie
San Francisco, CA

***

Julie: I am deluged, as you say. Thanks so much for the note. Time to speak out!
Best,
Frank

PS You might enjoy my book Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back (Paperback)

***

I just bought a copy of his book on Amazon.

And here is the link to his letter, and I hope you'll read it.

5 comments:

christina October 11, 2008 at 12:16 PM  

I read this article and WOW is the word that keeps running through my mind. It is refreshing to read honorable journalism. I think I will pick up the book too, cutie.

This has got my wheels churning over here.

PS: Thank ya!

will October 12, 2008 at 11:31 AM  

The sad part is, rational people tend to do rational things. Irrational, and in the case of Palin-McCain, desperate people, don't do rational things... especially when they're losing.

Once down the path of smear and sludge there's no turning back. Sure, they can stop making references to Obama being this or that - but the bad genie is out of the bottle and there's the barrage of hate filled right wing radio going 24/7 with their hideous messages ... No I think we are in for a month of sleaze. I hope Obama's lead can withstand the onslaught.

Anonymous October 12, 2008 at 7:55 PM  

i am excited to read the letter. thank you for sharing this Julie. i'm also glad you wrote him. it makes me think about the letters being passed around the country while the declaration of independence was being written. before nd after, even, letters have been such a powerful and respectful way to address each other on our personal views.

Yoli October 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM  

I not only find beauty but always something to challenge the mind. I am here in my pj's and fuzzy slippers. I can't sleep. Insomnia always gets the best of me. So I am here making myself at home.

A Cuban In London October 13, 2008 at 2:09 AM  

Good for Frank, but especially, good for you TB, this is the type of activism I support wholeheartedly. Modest, but effective. Thanks.

Greetings from London.