julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, October 10, 2008

I Am Uhura

Ugh. Today is going to be a looooong day. My workmate/soulmate is out on a photoshoot today, all day, so I don't have anyone here who will entertain me or be naughty and make me laugh.

Do you have one of those friends at work? The one who knows exactly what kind of crazy email to send you that will make you snort coffee out of your nose, or make you laugh so hard that you cry and ruin your makeup? That person who certainly helps make the work day a bit brighter?

***

My workmate/soulmate and I share the same demented sense of humor and crazy love of classic films. We both have the hots for Edward G. Robinson, James Cagney and Jean Harlow. He is much more of a Bogart expert than I am, but I am helping him with his noir education, particularly in the Richard Widmark area.

And I did give him Sea Monkeys last year for Christmas (and they are still alive, surprisingly). That shows how much I care about him, even though he did kill the first batch.

Yesterday, we discovered that we both have a huge nerdy affectation for the original Star Trek series. Here we were, just sitting in our own little worlds, not realizing that we had yet another thing in common.

We have decided that he is Kirk. At first, I thought I might be Bones, or Scotty. But then we realized that I am definitely Lt. Uhura.

***

And then he emailed me this, which made me choke on my Snapple.


And when I had recovered, he sent me this, having Photoshopped one of our fellow naughty ones into Yeoman Rand:


See, you'd love him too, right?

A lonely day.

*sigh*

***

ps. And of course, I would have to include that incredibly naughty Star Trek youtube video that makes me howl, but again, if you watch it and you're offended, I warned you.

10 comments:

Anonymous October 10, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

you probably should have called in sick... i told you i would write you Dr.'s note any time. "Dear Whomever Is In Charge Today, Please excuse miss TB from her chores today. She has the "curse" and can't find her aspirin. She is coming in for hormone therapy later and we think we may have to put her on bed-rest with a large box of jr. mints, a hot water bottle and the currrent issue Vogue magazine. Respectfully yours, Dr. Bird

Tess Kincaid October 10, 2008 at 1:06 PM  

I want him to be my friend, too! ;^)

tangobaby October 10, 2008 at 2:59 PM  

Oh Dr. Bird,

If Uhura had called in sick today, then the Enterprise would have been grounded. Who would have been answering all of those important communications from Star Fleet?

;-)

Hi willow,

Then that means you have to come out here and work for us. Are you good with the phones?

Mtnhighmama October 10, 2008 at 3:24 PM  

My office mate is on sabbatical in Italy for 7 months and I miss her terribly. I actually look for reasons to use the copier so I can go downstairs and visit with human beings a little bit.

I feel for you.

tangobaby October 10, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

Hi mtnhighmama,

Oh no! You're having it far worse. My buddy will back back on Monday. But he is coming to my movie party tomorrow so I feel better already.

Can you bring a friend to work just to keep you from being lonely?

Poor thing.

Anonymous October 10, 2008 at 10:36 PM  

haha, you put a good attachment on my otherwise unpleasant ideas of star trek so for that, this is a great friday post. on top of that, how wonderful to have a workmate/soulmate. i dont have one i work with now but i did meet my best friend through work and am deeply impressed at how much we've discovered we share. enjoy your weekend tangobabe! you make work seem like so much fun

Relyn Lawson October 11, 2008 at 5:11 AM  

This is a wonderful post. No surprise there. Makes me start looking a people and think, "Are you an Uhura? A Spock? A bones?" I know a few Kirk's too. I loved the laughs you gave me on a long Friday. I'm jealous of your workmate/soulmate. Lucky you. Lucky him.

Anonymous October 11, 2008 at 6:25 AM  

I do have that friend at work and without her I'm not sure I could do it.

Sea Monkeys *

*not exactly as illustrated.

;-)

msHedgehog October 11, 2008 at 8:23 AM  

And such a beautiful actress ... I don't remember having seen her in anything else. She really reminds me of Honor Blackman, for some reason.

Yoli October 12, 2008 at 9:57 PM  

Love your friend. So up my alley. I think we both have the same sense of humor. We would be impossible to tolerate together.