julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, October 13, 2008

The Sea of Sunset

As seen tonight, a sunset in the Sunset. My home is in the Sunset.



***

"When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator." ~ Mohandas Gandhi


"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset." ~ Crowfoot, 1890, as quoted in Catch the Whisper of the Wind


"It is sometimes said that scientists are unromantic, that their passion to figure out robs the world of beauty and mystery. But is it not stirring to understand how the world actually works — that white light is made of colors, that color is the way we perceive the wavelengths of light, that transparent air reflects light, that in so doing it discriminates among the waves, and that the sky is blue for the same reason that the sunset is red? It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it." ~ Carl Sagan

***

III. NATURE.

XIII.

THE SEA OF SUNSET.

This is the land the sunset washes,
These are the banks of the Yellow Sea;
Where it rose, or whither it rushes,
These are the western mystery!

Night after night her purple traffic
Strews the landing with opal bales;
Merchantmen poise upon horizons,
Dip, and vanish with fairy sails.

Emily Dickinson

ps. And here is a sunrise in the Sunset, in case you missed it.

8 comments:

Relyn Lawson October 13, 2008 at 9:02 PM  

Beautiful photograph. Wonderful quotes. Evocative poem Perfect post.

Anonymous October 13, 2008 at 9:11 PM  

oh you know me tangobaby, this caught every strobe of my heart. i loved this post so much. thank you for this beautiful sea of sunset. awesome!

My Castle in Spain October 14, 2008 at 6:48 AM  

you make me feel so dreamy.. i love your sunset..

christina October 14, 2008 at 7:21 AM  

The sunset, the hill, the houses, the tracks in the street. My heart is really in that picture.

Beautiful.

Uncle Beefy October 14, 2008 at 7:54 AM  

I always have a little longing for San Francisco but especially the Sunset! That's where I spent much of my childhood visiting my Aunt and cousins and building memories that will last a lifetime. This brought a smile to my face for both the beauty of your photos TB and the nostalgia! Thanks! :)

Red Shoes October 14, 2008 at 8:20 AM  

Oh, TB, thank you for these! I love the birds, and I love the color of the light in all of them...

Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 9:40 PM  

i was listening to the beautiful music from To Kill A mocking bird as i looked at these incredible images and read your quotes. you captured such a wonderful collection of sunset photos. you must have been very thrilled to not only see this with your eyes but t capture it to share with us here! what beautiful goodnight experience .
thank you sweet girl
xo

tangobaby October 15, 2008 at 3:34 PM  

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the delightful comments. That church, aptly named St. Anne of the Sunset, turns the most magical color at sunset.

I loved these photos, and the fact that you could see the colors and light exactly as I saw them too. A sunset needs no enhancement...

And Uncle Beefy! Your comment was adorable. I'm picturing a little Uncle Beefy playing in my neighborhood. Adorable.

xoxo to all of you