julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, October 17, 2008

One Year Ago Today

"I stood in Venice, on the Bridge of Sighs; A palace and a prison on each hand; I saw from out the wave of her structure's rise As from the stroke of the enchanter's wand: A thousand years their cloudy wings expand Around me, and a dying Glory smiles O'er the far times, when many a subject land Look'd to the winged Lion's marble pines, Where Venice sate in state, throned on her hundred isles." ~ Lord Byron

***

One year ago today, when I woke up in the morning, when I opened my eyes... I was in Venice.
Nowhere near the Bridge of Sighs, but that was okay. I loved my little apartment in the Dorsoduro.


Oh, to have had the camera or the eye that I have now, what photos I would have captured!
(I guess I'll just have to go back.)

big big big big BIG *sigh*

***

And now I'm going to have my crazy wanderlust all day.

This song makes it better and worse at the same time.



Or at least I should get a copy of The Darjeeling Limited. I can't believe I don't own this movie yet.

14 comments:

christina October 17, 2008 at 11:58 AM  

Okay so I lied, I am back visiting this blog! I just wanted to say, I loved this movie and the fact that The Kinks are on the soundtrack, makes it even bedda!

Eh mon!

paris parfait October 17, 2008 at 12:41 PM  

Yes, time to go back with your camera and your photographer's eye! Selfishly, I say Paris first, then Venice. :) xoxox

Anonymous October 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM  

and i want to whine about the fact i haven' woken up anywhere exotic in my lifetime... except maybe the time i was in a black out in the city of..........

arg.

Yoli October 17, 2008 at 1:17 PM  

Oh girl, go, just go. I woke up with wonderlust myself, dreaming I was in Petra.

tangobaby October 17, 2008 at 2:59 PM  

Hi christina,

Visit as often as you like...you don't even need a passport. Someday I'll tell you about the soft Venetian polenta and duck gnocchi I had in Venice. A meal to remember.

I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan. But this movie in particular really has all of the elements for me. Including the soundtrack.

Hi paris parfait,

Don't lose hope...wheels are turning, slowly. Paris may still happen. xoxo

Hi robin bird,

Don't whine...go. Start saving and go.

Hi yoli,

I've had a dream of going to Petra too, for many years. And now I could stop in and see karey m. while I'm at it. Perhaps I'll use part of my Mental Stimulation Package to put towards some airfare somewhere. Anywhere!

Maryam in Marrakesh October 17, 2008 at 4:08 PM  

oooh can I come to venice, too? I broke up with a boy there once whom I had once loved....

Maryam in Marrakesh October 17, 2008 at 4:09 PM  

PS Petra was one of the most magical places I have ever been:)

tangobaby October 17, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

Of course you can, Maryam. I would love to be anywhere you are. And there are lots of boys and men in Venice who would fall instantly in love with you.

First, take a ride on the gondola with me:
http://tangobaby2.blogspot.com/2007/10/floating-on-gondola.html

I seriously want to go to Petra. But not before I see Peacock Pavillions. Seriously!

Sandra Evertson October 17, 2008 at 6:42 PM  

Wow, beautiful photos!
Sandra

Elizabeth Halt October 17, 2008 at 7:57 PM  

I was so excited to visit Paris a second time - this time with a 'good' camera. But - somehow - I think the first set still thrills me more. Perhaps because I can feel that initial excitement and wonder at visiting a place I had only dreamed of.

gorgeous photos!

Dutchbaby October 17, 2008 at 8:13 PM  

I sigh for you...

Relyn Lawson October 17, 2008 at 11:18 PM  

Oh. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

But, you have been. And you will go again.

And what a book we will have then.

Anonymous October 18, 2008 at 1:19 AM  

Oooh Italy. I do hope to one day visit Italy.

tangobaby October 19, 2008 at 8:16 PM  

Hi sandra,

Welcome to my blog and thanks for your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

Hi elizabeth,

You're right, there's something about a "first time" that you can't really recapture, but I'm sure going to try.

I used to think that having a camera would distract me from paying attention to things but now I see that it really makes me focus more on what's around me, and that's what I regret now in looking at my Venice photos.

Hi dutchbaby,

I know you can relate BIG TIME. You were there first!

Hi relyn,

Oh! I didn't even THINK about the book! Now I really have to go!

Hi carol,

Go go go! GO! You'll love it. I never left Venice and still saw just a small portion of it, and I realize how much more there is to see. A lifetime is not enough.