julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mental Stimulus Package

So, if you're like me, you filed an extension on your taxes and waited until the last minute to send in the paperwork.

Me, I don't end up like this because I'm unpatriotic. To the contrary, I think taxes are necessary to have the things a society needs to sustain itself. I just wish my tax dollars went to the most beneficial and practical places to help us be the best nation we can (I won't go there... you know what I mean).

Nah, I just wait until the last minute because it stresses me out with all of those forms and then I have to hire someone to do it for me anyway. So this year, the nice CPA tells me that I'm eligible to get that $600 for the "economic stimulus package" that was bandied about in the springtime. I just figured this refund was either an urban legend or something that I wouldn't qualify for.

The CPA assured me that yes, I do qualify. I asked him if the government still had $600 to give me and he laughed. I don't know if that's a yes or no, so I'll just be positive about the whole thing, but then try not to be disappointed if the government changes its mind about stimulating me.

***

I know that I'm supposed to run out like a banshee and spend the theoretical $600 (see how I'm not getting emotionally attached to it?) on clothes and stuff so I can boost the economy, but the economy is probably so much in the crapper now that I have another idea.

I'm going to have what I am calling a Mental Stimulus Package, starting tonight. This election season has worn my brain out and I need some recharging.

I saw this event being held at the Herbst Theatre, called "Benjamin Franklin and the Invention of America." Just the idea of sitting in a beautiful theatre and learning about men who really broke the mold when it came to making this country sounded like a good way to spend a little bit of the stimulus package that I may or may not get.

I don't know too much about Benjamin Franklin, really. I probably know the things you do. I had a little bit of an imaginary camaraderie with Ben when I was in college. I got my degree in printing, and in my classes, I had to learn how to run a 2-color printing press. The whole deal: making printing plates, setting up the press, running it. I wore the little apron and everything. Watching paper being transformed from blank sheets to printed page in a whirring, breathing, noisy piece of real machinery (and an HP laserjet does not count) is kind of a rush. You feel slightly rabble-rousing and free-pressian and it's cool.

Anyway, that was my very slim association with Benjamin Franklin. But I'm looking forward to learning more about him, as an inventor, diplomat, philosopher, printer, athlete, musician. I hope it's going to make me feel good to hear about people who really did things to build and shape our country, in ways that we don't ever see now. I guess this event will be really inspiring or really depressing.

So, now you know another thing you can do on a Friday night in San Francisco. Be a history geek! I love that idea. I'm looking forward to my Mental Stimulus Package. I hope it helps me be a better American.

For more details about the event, looky here.

14 comments:

Red Shoes October 16, 2008 at 10:50 PM  

In a wild attack of synchronicity...Mr. Red Shoes and I were just now (*just now!*) at the White House website, running through photos of all our past presidents and having a bit of a "hot or not" discussion. Of course, Ben Franklin doesn't rank amongst those burdened with the highest office in the land, but if he had, he totally would get the Honorable Nerd Mention, wherein one gets judged as hot simply by being smarter than everyone in the room.

You know me, so you must know that in my book, smart is every bit as sexy as anything else. (I think you're the same. I know.)

So, Thomas Jefferson? Raging hot. Teddy Roosevelt? Oh yeah. JFK? Yowza.

Um, and that's how Mr. Red Shoes and I spent our Thursday evening...

Red Shoes October 16, 2008 at 10:51 PM  

Okay, so for most of them it's paintings, not photos. You know what I meant.

tangobaby October 16, 2008 at 10:52 PM  

Okay, now you've really got me in a tizzy! I don't think you really understand how much I adore you. It's pretty serious.

Let me know if you want to get mentally stimulated with me tomorrow. I'll save you a seat.

xoxo

tangobaby October 16, 2008 at 10:55 PM  

But I have to say that I've never seen anyone have the hots for Thomas Jefferson like The Boy does. I'm talking crazy serious love here.

I really have been an FDR girl since 11th grade. And when I went to the Lincoln Memorial, I bawled. It was so Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

A Cuban In London October 17, 2008 at 2:17 AM  

Have fun with your MSP, it looks like a good night out.

Greetings from London.

Anonymous October 17, 2008 at 3:27 AM  

An excellent way to spend the money I think :-)

tangobaby October 17, 2008 at 9:21 AM  

Hi a cuban in london,

Yes, I hope so. Maybe I'll sit next to a hottie history professor.

;-)

Hi carol,

I've decided not to spend all of my Mental Stimulus Package because a) I might not actually get it, and b) I might need to put some money away in a sock for my retirement to Bangladesh.

Nancy Ewart October 17, 2008 at 9:57 AM  

What about FDR? Now, maybe not hot but he certainly would win an award for best leader to get us out of a depression AND a major war. Now, about that money - I've get a great bridge on sale Only slightly used. It's probably a better deal than a lot around. Or, you could invest in yourself. That's actually the very best investment you can make!

tangobaby October 17, 2008 at 10:00 AM  

Hi namastenancy,

If you read my comment above, you'll see that I'm an FDR girl since the age of 16.

;-)

I still think putting my money in a sock and hiding it under my bed for about 30 years is looking like a really good option.

christina October 17, 2008 at 10:28 AM  

Hmm... you will let me know if you sit next to a "hottie professor" won't you? You know how I am a, straight up ho, for the smart guys!

Wow! You are So corrupting me!

Ps: Is that how you spell ho? I don't want any one to
get me confused with the gardening type!

Wow, I am so leaving this blog now.

; )

Anonymous October 17, 2008 at 11:23 AM  

no christina i think it is spelled r-a-k-e. see this video for a full understanding of an immoral pleasure seeker:
what's a ho?
http://gprime.net/video.php/whatsaho

paris parfait October 17, 2008 at 12:44 PM  

Oh yes and Ben spent quite a bit of time in Paris. See, I'm determined to get you here to retrace his steps. He was quite the bon vivant. And I didn't know you studied printing in college! xoxox

Red Shoes October 17, 2008 at 1:58 PM  

Oh, yes. Lincoln and FDR: delish.

TB, I'd love to, but it ain't in the cards this week I'm afraid...I want to hear about it though!

tangobaby October 17, 2008 at 3:08 PM  

Hi robin bird,

Can girls be rakes? Now that would be fun!

And christina, a garden hoe has an "e" on it. So we knew what you meant.

;-)

Hi paris parfait,

Apparently Ben was quite the ladies man, especially while in France. Unfortunately, I think our lecture tonight will not be so juicy.

And yes, I am full of surprises! Including a BS in Industrial Technology. But that's another story.

ps. I also know how to drill holes in sheet metal and use a lathe.

Hi red shoes,

That's okay...I get to see you tomorrow and we don't have to sit still and be quiet, either.